Forum home Problem solving

Tiny chilli plants - Help!

rockshow6rockshow6 Posts: 19
edited May 2018 in Problem solving
Hi all

(Boy, am I having a hard year with the chillies). I've had this problem before, but never ALL of my plants.

Basically, my plants usually would have reached full maturity now. This years plants have undergone the usual thickening of stem, a large amount of leaf growth and are even now flowering.

HOWEVER, the plant itself is scaled down. I'm well acquainted with chilli plants, and these are proportionately the same, but just really really small. The leaves are small, the flowers are tiny and just drop off. It's in a standard compost - I recently potted them on - No issues there. The roots held the mass together. They just super small. Leaves are normal. No pests, no sign of fungal issues. No discolouration.

HELP!

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,928
    Where are you, and what variety of chilis are you growing?  Are you proving a fairly stable temperature?  
    Utah, USA.
  • rockshow6rockshow6 Posts: 19
    UK,

Green house at night, 20s during the day. The stunting started when I had them inside, under artificial led light and at fairly constant temperature.

:'( 
    As for variety, a mixture of habeneros and jalapenos with varying hearts. Some heatless, some are carolina reapers. All, however, are stunted :'(

BUMP Any ideas?
  • ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949
    Can't help: but mine seem to have stalled recently. I'm going to pot them up (they stay in the greenhouse - hit is meant to help taste) to check on the roots.
  • I tried ghost chillies last year, first time ever and they did amazing. I kept them indoors kept them watered and all I gave them was babybio. I had them at a south facing window. Because they really are unedible not doing this year but it was fun to try. Hope you get them going as sounds like you know what your doing.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,850
    Same here - mine are about 6" - peppers and chili.
    Started in heated propagator in my g/house, then onto a heat mat, then on the staging.
    I've potted them all into 2L pots yesterday as some leaves were yellowing, but they weren't root-bound at all.
    I made a note last year that my Marconi peppers were 4ft (the plants not the peppers) on 8th August, Hope this year's get going soon.
    No idea why....

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    edited May 2018
    Success! I potted them into the ground. I came out this morning  (a couple of weeks on) to find this!

In experience they wont produce true flowers when stunted in this way. Must have needed different soil nutrients/ drainage. 

I hope yours also develop!

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,850
    Not sure what happened with your pic - but I'm encouraged by your comments.
    I guess the cause is environmental so hope now I've re-potted mine they get a wiggle-on

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.