Plants for Wet soil - shade in morning, sun in afternoon

Hi All, I've been steadily buying plants for shade this last few weeks and have discovered since the sun has come out, that the area I though was partial shade is actually shaded in morning and partial/full sun in the afternoon and some of the plants are not liking it. The area is also very wet. I've decided on Rodgersia Podophylla Braunlaub for the wettest part and in front some hosta sieboldiana elegans. Can anyone offer any more suggestions please as this area is now very sparse of plants whereas the area under my tree is well stocked given my gardening inexperience! Thanks

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,054
    edited May 2018
    I'm guessing your border is west-ish facing then?
    What size of area are you trying to fill and what kind of planting are you looking for - shrubs, perennials, annuals or a mix?
    A pic would be useful too.

There's loads to choose from so no need to worry  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,215
    If you prepare the soil well with plenty of good compost, you can plant many of the hardy Fuchsias. Megellanica Riccartonii & Molinae spring to mind. They may need a bit of care when young, but once matured, they can do well.

Tradescantia Andersonianas, Euphorbia Amygdaloides Robbiae and Alchemilla Mollis will also do fine in those types of surroundings. Many types of Thalictrums and Astilbes do well and for some height and ground cover Filipendulas would be ideal.
  • The_herpetologistThe_herpetologist West YorksPosts: 433
    Purple loostrife is gorgeous and would love the wet soil, as would yellow loostrife if you can contain it. Astilbe is another possibility.
  • Thanks all, thinking astilbe would work given the rodgersia has similar look. I love the look of that purple loosestrife - wish it was in white! I'm looking for a mix to be honest. I'll take a picture tomorrow when the sun is back out in that area. Thanks all. Sara
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,054
    There is a white loosestrife - slightly different growth habit to the others.
    There are also Camassias in white which like part shade - nice verticals.
    Campanulas would also work - all shapes and sizes - but slugs like them so you need to be vigilant .
    Whites are excellent for shady areas    :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• tessagardenbarmytessagardenbarmy York,North YorkshirePosts: 330
    Astrantias would do well
     Lovely range of colours and heads look good even as they dry off into autumn.
    Ragged Robin and some candelabra primulas too would work.
  • Yay for white loosestrife. I love love love Astrantias. This is all good news. You’ve both made my miserable day much more joyous! Thanks. 
  • Camassias look lovely too. They are on the list! 
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,914
    yes pic please, primulas, anemones, snakes head flitteries.  hellebores, astibes, bog irises.  Hve just planted up a simular area, added weathered logs and rocks to make it "woodlandy".
  • Photos to follow - will wait for sunny days and get a couple of pics at different times of day. I also want white rodgersia too, struggling to find anyone supplying them. Anyone got any nursery recommendations please?