Forum home Plants

What are you making with your produce?

Bagpuss57Bagpuss57 Posts: 256
I am fairly new to grow your own but have an established rhubarb that I wanted to find more ways to use it. Today I made Rhubarb and Star Anise cordial from a recipe I picked up in Tesco. It's really refreshing on a hot day like today and i will definitely be making it again. Check it out it's delicious and quick to make. 

What yummy things are people making with what's in their gardens, I'd love to hear about them. 

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,995
    Sounds yummy.. I have a ton of rhubarb.  I made a crumble with it last weekend.. so a cordial sounds perfect for today.  I'd save the left over fruit mush for putting on yogurt or ice cream.. no sense wasting.  

I mainly make salads or stir fries from our garden.  Most things go from plot to table within the hour.  A wash and a chop.  Cucumbers, tomatoes, kale, kohlrabi, green beans, peas, cabbage, potatoes, radishes, carrots, etc.  Soft fruit and grapes go direct from cane/bush to mouth in a matter of seconds.   :)
    Utah, USA.
  • Bagpuss57Bagpuss57 Posts: 256
     I'd save the left over fruit mush for putting on yogurt or ice cream.. no sense wasting.
    You must have read my mind Blue onion!!!! 😋
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    I’m not an adventurous cook, the kitchen isn’t my best room😊 I’m just chopping rhubarb, open freezing and bagging up.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,716
    Made 2 rhubarb crumbles, it was the first year picking for this one so not huge.  Now, on the other hand, the aparagus, whew, have made several quiches with it, bit of cheese,mustard, and egg.  cheese/onion quiche with last years stored onions.
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    I fill my GH with Spring greens/cabbage, as I need the space for tomatoes I am freezing the greens, tons of it!
    still got parsnips from last year’s harvest.  And a few tomatoes in there.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,530
    Most of ours gets eaten just as it is.  Rhubarb always gets crumbled, ma and OH have custard on it, I prefer plain yogurt.  Mother has diverticulitis which is aggravated by fruit pips, so I have to fillet her tomatoes.  Last year I sieved some of the garden raspberries and stirred the pulp into a cheesecake, delicious.