Forum home Tools and techniques

Maintaining Ivy on House Wall

I have Ivy on our rear wall and have been maintaining it in shape for the last 20 years. However, climbing double ladders and using a scraper to make a level edge at the top is getting a little tedious at age 77.

I don't want to remove the ivy, just find an easier way to keep it trimmed. Would a 'strimmer' work with a particular cutter or can anyone suggest something else please. Preferable with a pole so I don't need to use the ladders, or just a step ladder.

The photo shows before trimming as it's usually 2tw bricks below the left window.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,245
    Hi Sam - I don't know if there's a gadget with an extension on it - I'm sure there probably is - but wouldn't it be easier to get someone in to do it?
    It would save you having to invest in something, and still have to faff about doing it. I expect you'd still have to get up a ladder to trim it properly, and have it neatly below the windows.
    We don't want you injuring yourself!
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 2,031
    edited May 2018
    What a lovely garden you have @SeniorSam
  • Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 1,477
    Don't know about the ivy but your garden is beautiful. I would agree with @fairygirl and get someone else to trim it for you. Better to be safe than sorry.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,762
    Yep.. you need a nice young man.. a bit of (temporary) eye candy for the garden.
    Utah, USA.
  • SeniorSamSeniorSam Posts: 25
    Thanks Fairygirl, but do like to keep on top myself if possible.

Thank you Pauline7. It's a nice size which was one of the main points when we bought it just over 20 years ago. View from the other side ....

• I’m now green with envy, what a lovely garden.
    also I agree with the other reply’s get some one in to trim the ivy.
    That is truly magnificent.
    Well, such a lovely morning and with the window cleaners coming on Monday, I decided, against my better judgement and weakening shoulders, to have another go at it.

Started at just before 8am and it took me a couple of hours with my dear wife helping to clear up after me all but the garden Vac, which I finished up with to suck up the tiny bits.  Had a couple of jumps on the top of the garden bin to get it all in, and it looks as good as ever. At least I don't have to worry again until the ruddy thing shoots up again, but thanks for all your thoughts. ( Afternoon trips round the garden 2/6p Ho Ho Ho).
    Well done Sam. A good job done. Well done to your dear wife too. Time to relax with a cuppa now. ......or maybe something a bit stronger. 
    DEFINATELY......... just ben out to shop and got us some chocolate eclairs! Reward!