Pond visitors!

been waiting and finally it’s time! First I’ve seen in my new pond! Broad bodied chaser laying eggs and a large red!

• JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 739
    excellent! Thats what its all about 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,760
    Congratulations!
    If you stare into the water long enough all sorts of little bugs will come into focus.
    I've just been watching a newt catching daphnia and doing a very funky courtship display to his partner
    I spend much more time staring into my wildlife pond than my fish pond there's so much more going on
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • FlinsterFlinster Posts: 766
    I love watching it, spend hours sitting here! I’ve just ordered more plants as my water hawthorn took a battering this winter and is only just recovering so not nearly enough cover and blanket weed is flourishing! We had a newt pass through for a few days, but just one and it’s moved on now. Hopefully once there is more cover and the plants get established they will come. Tadpoles are happy enough though..😊
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,001
    Fantastic!
    I spent  a while today watching the birds eat at the feeder and then going to the pond for a drink or a bath. Can't beat it   :)
    I bought a water hawthorn last year for my tiny pond, as I had it in a previous pond and loved it. I didn't hold out a lot of hope for it as it was even harder than usual to keep the pond free of ice and snow. It has three flowers on it just now.  :)
    Chuck in some watercress and it'll help clear the blanket weed. Just the stuff in a bag from the supermarket. It roots into little pockets and uses up the nutrients.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• FlinsterFlinster Posts: 766
    Thanks fairy girl- I have 2 bags of it in there already lol! I’ve ordered a few more hornwort, milfoil and broad leaved pond weed, some bog bean, Brooklime and frogbit... hopefully that will improve the situation! The hawthorn is sending out new leaves, but they haven’t broken the surface yet, but I’m pleased it’s trying lol!

A blackbird came to bathe while I was twirling algae....it’s my absolute favourite part of the garden!