Forum home Plants

Help! Have I made a terrible mistake?

Two weeks ago a friend gave me some sweet pea plants growing in root trainers. I have just pinched them all out and intend planting them in a container.  Each plant has three stems and I have pinched them all out including the ones with tendrils. Will they still make sideshoots and produce more tendrils or have I just given them the kiss of death? My friend has inconveniently gone on holiday. 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,559
    :) you'll have some bushy sweet peas this year
    So long as there are still some leaves, new shoots should appear from where they join to the stem. But don't do any more pinching :)
    A photo would help to be more specific
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thanks Pete.  Here’s a photo of one lot of four. There are another lot of 4 which look very similar. 
  • Also a photo of the pot I have set up to put them in. I have some twiggy branches to help them climb.
    More questions!
    Do I put the plants in first, or the twiggy bits?  Is it ok to put one plant by each cane, or should I be planting in pairs just around the front of the container?
    I’d be grateful for any replies from whoever. Thank you!
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,052
    I have just finished planting in a pot with a wigwam this very morning. 

Your sweetpeas will be fine, but I would reduce the number of canes to 4 or 5. The canes go in first and then the plants, one to each cane.

You could wrap twine round the canes, but it's a bit off a faff. It helps them cling, but I just tie them in as they grow.

Good luck.
    SW Scotland
  • I have just finished planting in a pot with a wigwam this very morning. 

Your sweetpeas will be fine, but I would reduce the number of canes to 4 or 5. The canes go in first and then the plants, one to each cane.

You could wrap twine round the canes, but it's a bit off a faff. It helps them cling, but I just tie them in as they grow.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the tips Purplerain. It took me ages to securely tie the canes at the top, so I don’t fancy trying to dismantle and redo it all over again!  :|

• Do I put the twiggy bits in before or after planting the seedlings?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,433
    Yeh - a bit too many canes for the pot, but just plant fewer plants instead
     of faffing around removing your canes   :)
    You'd get around 8 to 10 in that pot - but you have to make sure you feed and water really well to give them enough nourishment. I do that every year and have no problem, but it depends on what time you have to attend to them. If you don't have the time, plant less. Deadhead as much as possible too.
    I'd also remove that saucer.....

Good luck with them - they look nice and healthy anyway  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks for the tips Fairygirl. I have exactly 8 plants, one for each cane. The reason for the saucer was to hold more water in very hot weather! Why isn’t it a good idea?
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,052
    I would put the twiggy bits in after planting. I've just had a root around for twiggy bits myself as I never thought of doing that. Also, I line the canes up on the ground and use a cable tie 😏.

Lots of good advice from Fairygirl too. You can't fail now 🙂.
    SW Scotland