The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

Help me to prune this tree and fix its shape

OZZOZZ Posts: 6
Here's my beautiful tree which started to grow a little bit out of control.  Could someone help me to plan how to prune it to fix its shape.
Thank you!

• OZZOZZ Posts: 6
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 11,838
    Name?
    The Vendée, France
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,770
    Crataegus laevigata 'Rosea Flore Pleno', double pink hawthorn?
    Utah, USA.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,770
    If you zoom in, you can just about make out the tag.. 
    Utah, USA.
    Name: Crataegus Rosea Flore Pleno
    Did you check its eventual size when you bought it?   4 to 8 metres wide and high!   

Wait till flowering has finished and then remove any damaged or crossing (and rubbing) branches and then, if you must, shorten the branches heading in a direction you don't want.   Stand back after each cut to make sure you balance the tree.   You can't put back what you take off!  Make sure your secateurs and loppers are clean and sharp so you get clean cuts and don't pass on diseases.

Be aware that pruning stimulates new growth so it may be best to leave this particular tree to form its own natural shape.  
    The Vendée, France
    Well, it says 50 years to ultimate high:) So I was hoping to enjoy it for a while.... Can I suppress its growth somehow? 
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 350
    We have them lining the streets here. I wondered what they are, now i know  :)
    edited 18 May
    One of the reasons hawthorns make such good hedges is that they respond to pruning with vigorous new growth and make a really good thick hedge ideal for controlling livestock (and trespassers), making a windbreak and sheltering wildlife.    Apart from removing any damaged or crossing branches as mentioned above I really do urge you not to prune this tree.  It will become an ungainly thicket on a stalk.

Better to let it develop for a few years and then get an expert to remove any branches causing problems to your neighbours or else start now to cut it into a column/pillar as tho it were part of a hedge or a topiary.  You'll still get flowers every spring.
    The Vendée, France
  • Bagpuss57Bagpuss57 South West Posts: 192
    On the RHS website it says these trees make a rounded form and don't really need routine  pruning but if pruning is needed it says to prune lightly in winter or early spring. I guess that's when the tree is dormant. 

Remove diseased, damaged, congested or crossing shoots. Shoots that are growing in unwanted directions can also be pruned out.

I love these trees and like you would be happy to enjoy it while it grows slowly. I was told too that it could be kept to a size you wanted by trimming it. Not exactly sure if that's true but I'd hedge my bets and buy one myself! They are so pretty and great for wildlife and birds.