The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

Abbreviated plant names

PicidaePicidae RutlandPosts: 92
Is this all I have to be annoyed about? Pretty pathetic, I know, but I still can’t stop a slight grating when I read abbreviations like clems, toms, cukes etc. I liken it to text speak such as n for and, u for you and so on. Who is that short of time that they can’t afford the milliseconds more it takes to write the word in full? I sometimes wonder if every few years these writers give themselves five minutes more in bed using up the time they have saved.

And just don’t get me started on puerile ‘abbreviations’ like brekky and Chrimbo which have the sane number of syllables as the word they’re replacing.

• LynLyn Posts: 9,478
    It’s just a bit of fun Pic. Once you’re out enjoying yourself in garden you’ll forget all about it. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 915
    U shd b gr8ful ders no yng ppl on hr. Ders no transl8tr for dis yoof spk.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 2,289
    And breathe ...... relax.

'Veggies' annoys me but I've learned to live with it  B)
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time
    Sir Terry Pratchett
  • JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 516
    Picidae said:
    Is this all I have to be annoyed about? Pretty pathetic, I know, but I still can’t stop a slight grating when I read abbreviations like clems, toms, cukes etc. I liken it to text speak such as n for and, u for you and so on. Who is that short of time that they can’t afford the milliseconds more it takes to write the word in full? I sometimes wonder if every few years these writers give themselves five minutes more in bed using up the time they have saved.

And just don’t get me started on puerile ‘abbreviations’ like brekky and Chrimbo which have the sane number of syllables as the word they’re replacing.
    can not
    do not
    they are

;)

In all seriousness, our language is always evolving, it is full of abbreviations, it's always happened, it always will. For what it's worth I usually write things in full myself, but each to his own
  • Pete8Pete8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 3,357
    I always abbreviate Chrimbo to Crimbo.
    But I never use TLA's...
    Pick a flower on Earth and you move the farthest star
    Paul Dirac
    Jellyfire said:
    Picidae said:

can not
    do not
    they are

;)

In all seriousness, our language is always evolving, it is full of abbreviations, it's always happened, it always will. For what it's worth I usually write things in full myself, but each to his own
    It has
    It is

:p
    Jellyfire said:
    Picidae said:

can not
    do not
    they are

;)

It has
    It is

I started off writing them in full then couldn't... sorry, could not be bothered  :D
  • B3B3 Posts: 5,973
    I wish they'd use text speak on live subtitles. Then,at least, they'd have a chance of keeping up with the speaker.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    Jellyfire said:
    Jellyfire said:
    Picidae said:

can not
    do not
    they are

;)

It has
    It is

I started off writing them in full then couldn't... sorry, could not be bothered  :D
    It doesn't flow well if you write in full. It makes everyone sound like a robot.
    wild edges said:It doesn't flow well if you write in full. It makes everyone sound like a robot. 
    Im actually a russian spambot. Trying to subvert the next election via the gardening vote