Forum home Wildlife gardening

Songs in the garden

Hi, what songs do you listen to while gardening? Yes, there are millions of song choices but what keeps you entertained while gardening? Looking for some inspiration :-)

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234
    I live in the country so I enjoy the peace and quiet but there is a bird (don't know which sort) that has been here since I moved in four years ago and it sings a few notes from 'Kiss from a Rose' by Seal. Needless to say that's what's in my head all day every day. Luckily I like it! 
  • The Bald GardenerThe Bald Gardener South West ScotlandPosts: 212
    I've got an eclectic taste in music so pretty much anything goes. 

Yesterday was  Buffalo Springfield, Creedence, the Stones, Barry McGuire and others in a similar vein; the day before that it was The Skids, Big Country and a mix of Ska and Punk; Day before that a mix of Southern Rock, Blues.....what might be termed 'biker music' - Lynyrd Skynyrd, George Thorogood and the Destroyers, Ledbelly, Five Horse Johnson etc. At the moment I have a hankering for Stone Roses  as I sit and wait for my (hopefully today) topsoil delivery. 

But it's all been down very, very low as I'm listening out for the first cheeps of my eagerly anticipated clutch of Great Tits in the birdbox to hatch. That's the one tune I'm really looking forward to.  :smile:

• FireFire LondonPosts: 7,055
    I have audio books on.
  • B3B3 Posts: 14,671
    Misread title - thought it said 'snogs in the garden'
    I don't listen to music much as I get earworms that last for days :#
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,326
    Podcast Kent Radio Sunday Gardening or GQT.

Havent found anything else listenable.

I usually end up singing I Heard It On The Grapevine as I tend my own vines.
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,799
    edited May 2018
    I like silence. Which isn't really silence, it's mainly birdsong. There's traffic noise in the background most of the time - I live between two main roads - but the birdsong is much much louder so I don't tend to notice it. There are also a lot of musicians down this road so I hear French horn, violin, viola, clarinet and piano practice (not all that the same time, thank goodness!) on a regular basis when the windows are open. Plus cello, flute, piccolo and piano from my own house. I think there's a saxophone and some other brass instrument somewhere as well. That'll do me,  I don't like being cut off by earphones anyway .
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,428
    I was just wondering this this past weekend!  Funny you've asked.  I was listening to the theme song for Home Fire, Siren by Samuel Sim feat. Concert Orchestra of London.. on repeat.. feeling like I was in the WI, digging for victory.  
    Usually it's silence, or GQT,.. but I was trying to drown out the noise of my children's constant squabbling in the back garden.  
    Utah, USA.
    I live under a flight path :| so I do like to have head phones on sometimes. I'm try to learn to ignore the flight path, but planes every 20 seconds seems is a lot. Plus police helicopters every day. And drones from the near by park.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,415
    LG_ said:
    I like silence. Which isn't really silence
    I found true silence once. It was in among sand dunes in Pembrokeshire. Silence so deep it almost had volume. I think the sand must absorb noise but it made me realise how noisy normal silence is.

Normally I like to be alone with my thoughts in the garden but I've been finding myself to be irritating company recently so I've switched to audio books. I've got David Attenborough's autobiography on the go at the moment.
    I've been finding myself to be irritating company recently.

Me too. Audiobooks do help.