The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

Help please new gardener

PEST I've brought a dwarf pear tree and apple tree in my tiny yard I noticed a lot on tiny holes and black marks on the leaves I thought it was  snail's or slugs so I went out and got copper tape I put the copper tape around the pots there in but the problem seem to be getting worst there's tiny black things all over the leaves I think it poop and spider webs with small spiders on the web of both trees 

• Pete8Pete8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 3,357
    edited 18 May
    I don't know the answer to your problem, but the droppings look very much like that of a caterpillar to me.
    See what others think

Re. your copper bands - they prevent slugs/snail crossing the copper as it gives them a small electric shock so they won't cross it. If there are already eggs in the compost, copper bands won't have any effect on these.
    Pick a flower on Earth and you move the farthest star
    Paul Dirac
  • Leewood204Leewood204 Posts: 5
    Thanks I think so as I just seen one and disposed of it 
    Hopefully it is I will go out tonight with a torch
     I have 8 Tom plants about 20 inches tall what are fine what are very close to the trees no signs of any bugs on them strange lol
  • Fire LilyFire Lily Posts: 296
    Most trees become stressed in pots, and if they get stressed, they are more likely to be attacked by pests. The spiders are your friends, as the eat them, so dont kill any spiders. 
    I would plant the trees in the ground and just wait and see if it sort itself out. 
    Hi thanks for the reply they are dwarf trees
    So will only grow to 1.5 metres so I've been told
    I've only got a tiny concrete yard 
    I've covered the nasty concrete up 
    With fake grass stones and wood chip 
    But no ground to plant  in
    So everything I plant or grow goes in containers
    The pots are to small, even if they are dwarfs, and shoudn't be black as the soil gets to warm. 
    Okay thank you I will look for bigger pots  :)
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 11,838
    Then use the biggest pots you can for plants like trees and shrubs and also the best compost you can find - not multi-purpose.   Make sure you feed and water regularly as the fertiliser on commercial compost is only good for 90 days and then the plants starve.

As the tree is small yet, you could try washing each leaf clean of visible pests either by hand or with a blast form the hose pipe.  If the spiders are proper 8 legged ones, they're your friends.  If they're teeny and red then they are more likely red spider mite and need treating.   See here for more info - https://www.rhsplants.co.uk/pestsanddiseases/_/pests-and-diseases/house-plants/red-spider-mite/articleid.1143/

The Vendée, France
    edited 18 May
    Shade the ones you have until you do, like wrapping it with av old curtain, jute cloth or what you have at hand. :)
    I wouldn't buy anything with an diameter less than 1 meter. If you can get hold of pallet collars, buy 3-4 per plant and stack them on top of eachother. Like this: https://www.plantagen.se/media/wysiwyg/CampaignPages/Palletcollar/pallkrage-stodpelare-spalje.jpg
     Thanks for that 
    That' one of the things I thought at first but I think these are to big to be mites
    I hope it' just caterpillars 
    As I've seen two today and removed them 
    I think 
    They where the biggest pots I could find 
    So I think I will make some out of wood 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 3,448
    I'm not sure many people have pots of one metre diameter.