Forum home Problem solving

Sick foxglove/fuchsia genii query

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 6,844
    Please don't worry about your plants, they will be perfectly alright.  I grew 'Genii' for some years and often in the Spring you get the foliage very yellow-y as if lacking in something.  As the season progresses the foliage improves, it's lime/yellow in any case.  The main problem with this fuchsia is that in my garden pests would eat all the new buds, and it never looked its best until September...

The foxglove will be fine too, just leave it get on with it...

These were my 'Genii's on 28th Oct. last year... in the Spring they looked like yours..

I should also add that they do prefer a shadier spot.   If yours is in full sun then that could bleach the colour of the foliage somewhat...
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,909
    I agree.. full sun against a brick wall could be causing them distress.  
    Utah, USA.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,909
    Also.. if it's going to get as big as Marlorena's.. where are the rest of your plants going to fit?!  :no_mouth:
    Utah, USA.
  • Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 1,021
    It's in part shade. Area gets the sun just now from about 8/9am until around 2pm.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,289
    It's normal for old foliage on foxgloves to get tatty as the new stuff comes through- just remove the rubbishy bits if it looks unsightly.
    Ideally, they'd have some shade and moist soil, but they're pretty tough, so I wouldn't worry too much about them. Having the sun at the strongest part of the day isn't the best conditions for them, so you may have to add extra manure or similar [to help retain moisture ] and make sure they don't dry out. 
    You'll also find that if you leave them to seed, they'll end up in more suitable areas of the plot! :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,892
    It seems then, from above posts that the yellow and white leaves with brown curling edges will right themselves and turn green? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 1,021
    Lyn said:
    It seems then, from above posts that the yellow and white leaves with brown curling edges will right themselves and turn green? 
    Hope so, doesn't look normal to me but I'm just a novice. 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,892
    Don’t bank on it! 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Your fuchsia will outgrow it as new growth develops which it will in time.. If you want to speed things up then I use this liquid feed below.  Obviously it costs, but I use it for lots of plants including roses if they have yellow-y leaves.  Most of my garden is around 6.5 ph but I had it tested by RHS and other parts are 8.1 due to building sand/rubble being incorporated... so I use this to help plants along in those areas until things settle down..

Your fuchsia would benefit from a liquid feed similar to this..
    https://www.homebase.co.uk/miracle-gro-azalea-camellia-rhododendron-concentrated-liquid-plant-food-1l_p088720