The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

Plant/weed I.D?

GraysGrays Posts: 69
Hi all,
Back again with a couple of suspicious looking plants that reappear this time for the last two years while we have lived here, I’ve got a small bed at the top of the garden that has been completely taken over by forget me nots (which look nice) we haven’t decided exactly what to do with this area yet, but there are two slightly different plants with white flowers which appear at this time, are they weeds and need pulling out, or something a bit better? Hope the photos show the situation properly.
Cheers.

• GraysGrays Posts: 69
  • Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 51
    The top picture is Hesperis Matronalis, common name Sweet Rocket (one of my Grandmother's favourite plants). The other plant is a weed, Jack-by-the-Hedge.
    Also in the top picture is a small piece of Ajuga (small blue flower spike). 
  • Pete8Pete8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 3,350
    edited 17 May
    The bottom 2 are Jack in the Hedge - very invasive.
    I've no idea where they came from (birds I guess) but over the last few years I've had thousands of seedlings of these appearing in my garden throughout the year. Get rid before the seed sets

PS - the leaves taste a bit like garlic, and they are edible 
    Pick a flower on Earth and you move the farthest star
    Paul Dirac
  • Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 51
    After another look at the top picture there is also Cleavers and what could be bramble or raspberry.
    Thanks for the replies.
    So the top one is to be kept, and dig the others out then?
    Loraine3, that is a raspberry plant in the top photo you are correct.
    I grow hesperis myself (the pink/mauve variety) and is looking lovely atm. I should have recognized it.. it's biennial, so if you let is drop seed, you'll have new plants next year. Also smells lovely.

Pull the Jack by the hedge up asap or you'll have a garden full of them
    Paul Dirac
    Thanks again, I’ll dig them all up tonight.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,619
    edited 17 May
    leave a few, they are the food plant for the Orange Tip butterfly larvae.
    There are probably eggs/larvae on some of them now. Selective weeding is the way to go. Leave a few for the butterflies every year, they're biennials so they die after seeding. You can weed out the ones you don't want in Autumn, leave a few for spring. Our native wildlife needs all the help it can get
    Thanks, will do,
    still unsure exaxtly what to do with this bed, what would you advise to do with the forget me nots? They have totally taken over from last year, just dig them all out maybe?
    As they go over pull them all out - they will self seed profusely - just pull them out where you don't want them - you'll have loads pop up for next year
    Paul Dirac