Herbal teas

wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 1,625
I just suggested turning nettle seedlings into a nice cup of tea in another thread but wondered if anyone else makes their own teas from garden prunings? The chocolate mint is just springing up here and it makes one of the best herbal teas money doesn't have to buy.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 3,812
    I've used Lemon Verbena which is very lemony and refreshing, and Lemon Balm which is also very nice.
    I've got a few types of mint, but never tried them as tea - so thanks for reminding me to have a try - maybe not the eau de Cologne mint tho...
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 4,512
    Rosemary is a good pick-me-up tea. Camomile is lovely, with a very little lavender thrown in.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,779
    I have about four types of mint I use (I used to have six, but it's a gladiator arena in the two pots).  

Fire - doesn't the lavender just taste like soap?  My husband used it once for herbs for the turkey in the crockpot.. we ended up feeding the entire thing to the dog.   
    Utah, USA.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 1,625
    Camomile doesn't like growing here sadly. We use a ton of it for what has become affectionately known as 'bum tea'. This is a brew my wife makes up with camomile, baby soap and olive oil to use as a solution on reusable wipes for the baby. No cases of nappy rash in 8 months so it seems to work well.
    Haha.. 'bum tea'.. I love it.  My first had a terrible time with whatever was in disposable wipes.. so we went to cloth wipes too.  No nice tea for him though.. just a cold mug of water sitting on the changing table!  
    Utah, USA.
  • Fire LilyFire Lily Posts: 296
    Yes, i make a lot of herbal tea as I can't drink regular (heart problem). One of my favorites is Yarrow tea and a cup of spruce shoots is also nice. I grow mint and 
    lemon balm aswell. A friend of mine fermented willowherb leaves for me, it taste just like regular tea. 
    What sort of yarrow?  I have Achillea Coronation Gold.. I never knew you could make tea from yarrow.. I'll have to go off and search if my variety is safe.  
    My favorite is redbush (rooibus).. I wonder if I can grow that in Utah.  
    Utah, USA.
  • Fire LilyFire Lily Posts: 296
    I use the wild one.
  • B3B3 Posts: 7,026
    Mint tea is good for IBS.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 2,802
    Lemon verbena and tashkent mint are the two favourites here, but I've been known to use peppermint tea for a bellyache and rosemary for a change now and then. Sage isn't bad, but better steeped in Eau de Vie and taken as a tonic (hic)
    Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to
    Sir Terry Pratchett