The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

Clipping box hedges

davemeddavemed Northwich, CheshirePosts: 82
My late wife used to clip the box twice a year and I have forgot at what time of the year she did this.  Some have told me April and October others different months altogether.  What would you advise ?
Thank you.

Davemed
Northwich, Cheshire.

Every day is a new day.  Enjoy it.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 5,561
    I do my box "shapes" once a year, in early June, seems to work fine.
    Don't step on snails, don't climb in trees
    Love cliff richard but please don't tease
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Todmorden, West YorksPosts: 4,248
    Late May to mid-June, and September to October if a second tidy-up is needed.  If you are in a frost-prone area, I'd say June.   :)
    "Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change"    Stephen Hawking
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,145
    The old adage is to clip box before Derby Day - which is normally the beginning of June.
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 932
    I've just started clipping my big box balls as it's been cloudy here today. Had to make an early start as quite a lot of dwarf hedges to do as well and the countdown to D Day has begun!  (NGS opening on 16th/17th June)  Oh help!!!
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 883
    Try and make sure you do it on a cloudy day like Lizzie has done - stops the box getting scorched. :)
  • davemeddavemed Northwich, CheshirePosts: 82
    Hello All,
    Thanks for the excellent advice, noted.
    I take cuttings on a regular basis and they take so easily.  Why do garden centres and D.I.Y centres charge so much for them ?  Cultivation is easy and they do grow pretty fast.
    Davemed
    Northwich, Cheshire.

Every day is a new day.  Enjoy it.