The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

2 Outdoor Taps to 1 Garden Hose

Hi. I have recently installed an outdoor hot water tap directly next to my existing cold water tap. So I now have 2 outdoor taps (hot and cold). The idea behind this was that my toddler will not get in his paddling pool if it's freezing cold, so I thought installing a hot tap for easy access would help me out. However, I'd now like to create a mixer with some sort of connector into both taps, giving me one outlet that I can connect to my hosepipe. Like the old, retro push-on-taps shower kind of thing. I can't find anything like this for outdoor use with the connector for one outlet. Everything seems to go the other way: i.e. connecting one tap into 2 outlets. To reiterate, I need to connect 2 taps to one hose outlet. Does anything like this exist?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 45,944
    I've a feeling there's a problem with doing this as there's a possibility of water from the hot pipe getting into the mains water system. I'm not sure of the technicalities and I may be wrong but  it's something I would check on. 
    If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 
  • Pete8Pete8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 3,358
    You could use a splitter in reverse (something like this), but as Dove says there could be a pressure difference that may cause a problem.
    Cold water at mains pressure could force the hot water to go in reverse as it were. I think if you have a combi boiler it may not be the case, but def check it out first.
    Pick a flower on Earth and you move the farthest star
    Paul Dirac
  • ZenjeffZenjeff Newcastle Upon Tyne Posts: 494
    Water regs outdoor taps should have double check valves
  • Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 585
    I just to used to add a few buckets of warmer water to the paddling pool when my boys were toddlers. Didn’t cost a thing. 
    Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• FireFire LondonPosts: 3,472
    Well, yes
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 11,841
    If the paddling pool is in the sun it will warm up by itself and toddlers, in my experience, are impervious to cold paddling pools.   Install a sink and use the hot water for something useful like washing your plant pots!
    The Vendée, France
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 4,078
    Wouldn't the simplest solution be to buy a second hosepipe?  Or part fill the pool with cold, then switch over and top up with hot.

I did the same as Brightstar when mine were little, chucked in a couple of buckets of hot to take the chill off 😁.
  • mflorance1mflorance1 Posts: 4
    Thanks for the advice, folks.

I have just had the hot tap fitted and so would assume it meets all regs - is there a foolproof way of assessing whether it has double check valves to prevent reverse flow?

The Y connector and 2-way splitter in reverse are things I looked at, but the taps both aim vertically down and so wouldn't clip straight on. I guess I'd need a short section of hose with appropriate connections and either end - does that exist as well?

On the note re toddlers being impervious to cold paddling pools...I can assure mine is not. Hence why I've installed a hot water tap!  :D
    Up to this point we have just done the same re chucking in a couple of buckets of hot water. But I had the bright idea of installing this second tap, so I could in effect "mix" it to a temperature that I could just fill it with immediately - thinking I was saving myself some effort in the long term, but it appears I have just made my life harder. The really annoying this is that I could have had an outdoor mixer tap installed instead of the 2 individual taps - I went for the latter because it was cheaper, thinking that something would exist to allow me to mix it. I am now regretting it...
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 16,110
    edited 16 May
    put a connector on each tap, add about 0.5m of hose onto each one, add another connector ( "male" end )on the end of those 0.5m lengths , then connect the hose ( going to the pool ) via a "female" end to one tap, then swap to the other.
    No need for Y connectors, no chance of water mixing.
    Devon.