White iris

Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 4,724
I was thinking of looking for white iris corms for next Spring's displays in pots.  Are they easy to find - easy to grow and with what results?  Has anyone grown them?

• Joyce GoldenlilyJoyce Goldenlily Posts: 575
    Try Clare Austin's catalogue. Plenty to choose from, grouped according to type to suit your taste.
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 4,724
    Thanks for the recommendation Joyce.  I will take a look.  In the meantime if anyone has tried growing them - and do they return the following year then I would like to hear from them too.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 1,591
    I'm growing some white flag irises I was given by a friend but don't know the name unfortunately. they do come back year on year but are probably not the ones you mean.
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 13,716
    I have white iris sibirica in a dampish area. It's perennial.
    SW Scotland
  • JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 543
    I’ve got a white bearded iris which has come back every year 
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 401
    I've got some white Dutch Iris, they were cheap as chips from B&Q last year and they have come back.  We have a lot of clay in the soil.
    Thank you for your input - I have various types of bulbs that haven't re-appeared the following year, so wanted to check them out with you all.  I will look out for the corms this Autumn. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 18,440
    I've found the little spring flowering ( Dutch ) types are very reluctant to come back but sibiricas and germanicas are very reliable , depending on your garden conditions. 
    Sibiricas like the damp and germanicas love the  sun and baking in the ground , which is why they're rarely seen in Devon. :'(
    Devon.
    Perhaps I will try two or three types of white iris to give them a try - thanks for the recommendations Hosta.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,446
    'English' iris, I. Latifolia are very reliable.
    I have had the dark blue ones for many years - they came from my MIL's garden - and they are beautiful in early summer and increase well too. I regularly split the clumps to extend the planting.
    Last year I managed to get some other colours, purples and white from Parkers and they are coming up now, though not yet in flower. I am quite excited looking forward to seeing them.