The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

White iris

Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 4,173
I was thinking of looking for white iris corms for next Spring's displays in pots.  Are they easy to find - easy to grow and with what results?  Has anyone grown them?

• Joyce GoldenlilyJoyce Goldenlily Posts: 536
    Try Clare Austin's catalogue. Plenty to choose from, grouped according to type to suit your taste.
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 4,173
    Thanks for the recommendation Joyce.  I will take a look.  In the meantime if anyone has tried growing them - and do they return the following year then I would like to hear from them too.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 932
    I'm growing some white flag irises I was given by a friend but don't know the name unfortunately. they do come back year on year but are probably not the ones you mean.
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 12,345
    I have white iris sibirica in a dampish area. It's perennial.
    SW Scotland
  • JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 516
    I’ve got a white bearded iris which has come back every year 
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 389
    I've got some white Dutch Iris, they were cheap as chips from B&Q last year and they have come back.  We have a lot of clay in the soil.
    Thank you for your input - I have various types of bulbs that haven't re-appeared the following year, so wanted to check them out with you all.  I will look out for the corms this Autumn. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 16,073
    I've found the little spring flowering ( Dutch ) types are very reluctant to come back but sibiricas and germanicas are very reliable , depending on your garden conditions. 
    Sibiricas like the damp and germanicas love the  sun and baking in the ground , which is why they're rarely seen in Devon. :'(
    Devon.
    Perhaps I will try two or three types of white iris to give them a try - thanks for the recommendations Hosta.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,094
    'English' iris, I. Latifolia are very reliable.
    I have had the dark blue ones for many years - they came from my MIL's garden - and they are beautiful in early summer and increase well too. I regularly split the clumps to extend the planting.
    Last year I managed to get some other colours, purples and white from Parkers and they are coming up now, though not yet in flower. I am quite excited looking forward to seeing them.