The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

Pangolins

josusa47josusa47 Posts: 1,276

Did anyone else watch tonight's heart-warming, heart-breaking documentary about pangolins?  If you didn't, try and see it.  Especially if you're an aficionado of traditional Chinese medicine.  Pangolins are scaly anteaters, four species are native to Africa and four to Asia.  Their scales are used in Chinese medicine, despite there being no peer-reviewed evidence that they have any clinical value.  They are trapped by poachers to supply a multi-million-pound illegal market, and their numbers in the wild are decreasing.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 11,829
    Saw some of it.   I hope that Chinese star's endorsement helps.   Th search for ingredients for Chinese medicine inflicts pain on live bears "milked for their gland secretions, tigers, elephants and all manner of beast and is just horrid.
    The Vendée, France
  • Valley GardenerValley Gardener South WalesPosts: 600
    Yes I saw it,they were so adorable.It's terrible that they are hunted,I hope something can be done to save them.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 2,381
    I didn't see it but agree that the way oriental medicines include animal products, for want of a better description, needs to be addressed.  There is scientific basis for many of their plant based remedies but not the use of animal parts.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 16,073
    IMHO the vast majority of "oriental medicine" using animal parts is nothing more than barbaric, superstitious claptrap.
    Devon.
  • Valley GardenerValley Gardener South WalesPosts: 600
    I totally agree Hostafan!
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 5,561
    I have been very lucky to see Pangolins in the wild, on several occasions, they are weird and truly wonderful creatures.
    We need to remember, that we are the guardians of this planet and have a responsibility to ensure that species do not disappear on our watch. 
    Don't step on snails, don't climb in trees
    Love cliff richard but please don't tease
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Todmorden, West YorksPosts: 4,248
    Well said, Punkdoc.  Just because we've got opposable thumbs, we seem to think we have a right to do what we like with "our" planet.
    "Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change"    Stephen Hawking
  • LynLyn Posts: 9,453
    I think one of the worst thing is HRT, Premarin! So cruel, I can’t bear thinking about it yet alone use it. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,820
    Premarin contains an oestrogen extracted from Horses urine.  It is not used much these days. Mostly doctors prescribe the chemical estradiol instead.
    It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 902
    Premarin contains an oestrogen extracted from Horses urine. 
    You're taking the p*ss! :o