The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

Potential Frost Damage and Remedy

danpardoedanpardoe Posts: 3
Hi all,

Am I right in thinking the tree in the attached photo is suffering from a particularly harsh winter and some frost damage? If so, is it a case of taking the branches off and cutting them down as close to the trunk as I can?

Also, any idea on the name of the tree please? :smile: 

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Danny

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,145
    Ir's a palm of some description. Personally I would take off all those bottom leaves as they are not going to amount to anything.
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • danpardoedanpardoe Posts: 3
    Super, thank you.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 20,499
    I think it's probably that Trachycarpus one [fortunei?] which will grow quite well in milder parts of the country. It's likely it's had a tougher time this winter than normal though. 
    As hogweed says, the dead stuff needs removing. They will naturally lose some leaves anyway, as all evergreen plants do. It will look a bit unsightly, but as soon as it gets a bit more new growth, you could give it a boost with a suitable fertiliser - liquid seaweed is ideal for foliage plants, and readily available. It should look a bit better in a month or two! :)
    to walk through a forest is to touch the past

• danpardoedanpardoe Posts: 3
    Thanks for all the help everyone, looks like I've found how I'll be spending a bit of my weekend 😊