The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

9am today Radio 4

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 45,898
Jim Alkalili will be talking about plant science ... in particular Vernalisation and John Innes composts. 
Radio 4 at 9 this morning. 
If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 

• Pete8Pete8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 3,350
    Thanks Dove - very interesting.
    The wonders (and complexity) of evolution never cease to amaze.
    And quite a worry for the future with climate change
    Pick a flower on Earth and you move the farthest star
    Paul Dirac
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 327
    I learned a new word today. Epigenetic. I missed the first ten minutes, but it was very interesting.
    SW Scotland
  • Chris 11Chris 11 NottinghamPosts: 226
    Jim Al-Khalili is a Physicist, but is the host of the programme.

Professor Caroline Dean of the John Innes Centre in Norwich will be the one actually talking about the Plant Science :)

Anyone interested who missed it can find details here, and catch up with it on the iPlayer.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b2jdxj

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 45,898
    edited 15 May
    It was fascinating wasn't it.  :)  The JI Centre is just up the road from here ... a late dear friend was also a professor there.  

Despite the trailer flagging it up there wasn't a lot about the compost was there ... but it's not what they do there.  

And yes, mea culpa ... it was Prof. Dean being interviewed ... that info wasn't in the brief trailer I heard and I posted it quickly from my phone to give you a chance to listen. 
    If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 
  • Tin potTin pot Posts: 359
    I learned a new word today. Epigenetic. I missed the first ten minutes, but it was very interesting.
    There’s not much hard science behind it yet - take everything to do with it with a pinch of salt.
  • Chris 11Chris 11 NottinghamPosts: 226
    Tin pot said:
    There’s not much hard science behind it yet - take everything to do with it with a pinch of salt.
    Why do you say that? Bad reporting in the media is one thing, but actual Epigenetic science is on solid foundations. And it's a growing area of interest in Genetics, including human.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 11,829
    Never heard of epigenetics so googled it.  Interesting.  Now to find time to listen to teh broadcast and do more reading.......
    The Vendée, France