Forum home Fruit & veg

Strawberry root rot

Are the strawberries safe to eat despite having root rot, the plants are still producing fruits.  All the articles explain the diseases but not if the fruit is still edible or not?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,940
    Are you sure the roots just haven’t been eaten by vine weevil, all of mine had them, roots completely disintegrated.
    are the fruits fully formed, I would think you could eat them if you have sprayed with anything. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Nancy 3Nancy 3 Posts: 9
    The fruits are still at flowering stage, i havn't sprayed anything. Try to stay as organic as possible.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,444
    If your strawberries don't have a lot of roots, I'd guess the strawberries won't swell to an edible size.  After the flowers are fertilised the plants have to take up a lot of water through their roots to enable the fruit to swell & ripen properly.

Are you sure it's root rot?  I think it's quite rare in UK (though common in US).  As Lyn says, check for vine weevil grubs in your compost or soil.  If you have them, use nematodes immediately and you might be able to save the plants - though by the time they wilt, it's often too late, sadly.

Good luck!
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Nancy 3Nancy 3 Posts: 9
    Thanks, will check.