Forum home Problem solving

Help with Rowan Tree!

Hi, my Rowan Tree has been struggling since we had to remove a large Poplar tree close by (may be just a coincidence). I have attached some photos and would be grateful for any advice on trying to save it if it’s not too late. I don’t think it is Fire Blight but could be wrong? Many thanks, L

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,146
    Looking at that poor tree , maybe it's already too late !
  • 😞 So there is no way to save it then? There are new buds on some of the branches so was hoping something could be done. 
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,146
    My apologies ; didn't notice any new buds !
    If that is the case , would it be feasible to prune out any dead wood , and cut down to where the new shoots are emerging ?
    The damaged and peeling bark doesn't look too promising though .
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • There is new growth around the top but I think you’re right, it’s not looking great. If I prune out the dead wood it won’t leave a lot left 😞 I will give it a go anyway. Thanks for your replies. 
  • I would cut it down. Sadly it looks like it has a wilt disease and it is not going to look pretty again and removing it now will save other trees.
    What a shame. Thank you for your advice. Is it because it hasn’t been pruned enough that has caused this? 
  • Thank you for your advice Freddies Dad and Pansyface - really appreciate it! 
  • ThankthecatThankthecat Posts: 421
    So sorry to see your poor old Rowan - and it's making me feel a bit concerned. I planted one two years ago and several branches have not produced leaves this year. I thought they were tough little things and never considered it would be anything more than the Beast getting at it, but perhaps I should do a bit of research...