Help with Rowan Tree!

Hi, my Rowan Tree has been struggling since we had to remove a large Poplar tree close by (may be just a coincidence). I have attached some photos and would be grateful for any advice on trying to save it if it’s not too late. I don’t think it is Fire Blight but could be wrong? Many thanks, L

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,197
    Looking at that poor tree , maybe it's already too late !
  • LarissavmannLarissavmann Posts: 6
    😞 So there is no way to save it then? There are new buds on some of the branches so was hoping something could be done. 
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,197
    My apologies ; didn't notice any new buds !
    If that is the case , would it be feasible to prune out any dead wood , and cut down to where the new shoots are emerging ?
    The damaged and peeling bark doesn't look too promising though .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    There is new growth around the top but I think you’re right, it’s not looking great. If I prune out the dead wood it won’t leave a lot left 😞 I will give it a go anyway. Thanks for your replies. 
    I would cut it down. Sadly it looks like it has a wilt disease and it is not going to look pretty again and removing it now will save other trees.
    What a shame. Thank you for your advice. Is it because it hasn’t been pruned enough that has caused this? 
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 12,950
    edited 15 May
    Rowans are very shallow rooted trees and suffer badly when the ground around them is too dry. The poplar tree was probably taking all the water and gradually killing the rowan.

Those branches in the first photo are definitely dead.

I would cut my losses, so to speak, and remove the whole poor, tired thing from the garden. It will never come to anything and will just look awful after you have cut off so many dead limbs.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    Thank you for your advice Freddies Dad and Pansyface - really appreciate it!