Green Tulips

alexspeed78alexspeed78 Posts: 10
I have green tulips in my garden. I planted tulips of various colours but some have come up green. One would have been a surprise but I now have 14. they have a thicker petal than the other tulips and have a rim of pink at the tip. I have been gardening for over 50 years and never seen anything like them. Are they a proper tulip? One I would have said was a malformation but to have 14 seems a lot considering the rest of the tulips are perfect blooms.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,144
    Green tulips do exist.

If you want me You can find me
    Left of center Off of the strip
    In the outskirts In the fringes In the corner
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 49,294
    There are lots of 'viridiflora' varieties of tulips ... take a look here and see if you can see any like yours 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=viridiflora+tulip+types&rlz=1C1PRFC_enGB734GB735&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjDvpuuz4XbAhUkJMAKHagADzcQsAQIJg&biw=1093&bih=530 

Presumably one of the packs you bought had been mislabelled.  
    “I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.” ~Charles Dickens

• alexspeed78alexspeed78 Posts: 10
    Nothing there to resemble them.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 49,294
    Can we see a photo of yours please  :)
    “I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.” ~Charles Dickens

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 984
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 4,512
    edited 14 May
    A friend gave me some cabbage tulips, which I duly planted, because he gave me them. They came up a bit like the below. Totally green. I peaked inside the buds and they were all green inside too to start with. Then over about a month they opened in mad gold and red stripes.

They look very odd. Not my kind of thing at all, but striking and new to me. I had no idea they were a thing. I'm glad I have them. They look like a kids' magic experiment, like growing crystals in your kitchen or making slime with bicarb and glitter.

They still don't look the same
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 10,708
    Can we see your seeds please Alex? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose. 
    These are  the three stages of growth.