Best potting mix for potted petunias?

BA283BA283 Posts: 17
Hello!

I have recently placed an order for some Petunia Tumbelina Diana and Petunia Magica Starfish which I am planning on putting into a flower bridge and then onto the railing of my south-facing balcony.

What is the best type of potting mix to put in the flower bridge?  I was thinking John Innes no 2 but would no 3 be more suitable?  Or something else completely?

Thank you

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,779
    edited 15 May
    I would go with 3, mixed with some water retaining gel.. they are vigerious growers, and would like the extra nutrients in then 3.. and as your pots are not going to be all that substantial in size, gel to keep them moist throughout the summer day.  
    Utah, USA.
  • BA283BA283 Posts: 17
    Great, thank you!
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 3,811
    Grow Wise make a multi-purpose compost which has JI3 added. It's widely available and I've been very happy with it for the last few years - no bits of plastic/glass/bottle tops etc. I also add water retaining gel for hanging baskets.
    I find straight JI3 too heavy and it gets too compacted after a few waterings.
    Another option is to buy a small bag of JI3 and mix it up with an mpc of your choice about 50/50.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.