Forum home The potting shed

How to resize an image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 37,253
    I think the big problem is when people are using their phones to take photos. It doesn't seem to be so easy with those @allenbarry1337

Not everyone has a photo editor either, or microsoft.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,037
    I think the iPhones are the culprits for the posting of large photos, I can’t even open those photo threads.
    on the iPad I can just click edit and chop the sides off but I don’t know if phones have an edit facility. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

I don't have one of those phones @Lyn, so no idea  :)
    I have Windows photo editor on the laptop, and it's really easy to resize. Most of my photos are upwards of 6 or 7 MB, so I habitually resize anything I want to use to under 1MB. It won't let me do the whole lot in a oner anymore though, so it's a bit of a pain sometimes. 

I wish they would attach a photo editor to the site. 

I downloaded a free one when the Windows one disappeared for while. It was called PhotoScape.
    It would be a really good extra on this site though  :)

I did ask at the time they were building this new site but apparently it couldn’t be done.

We're on to you 'shareit vidmate apk'....mate 

No piggybacking onto other threads please for your cheapo advert

• steveTusteveTu Posts: 1,299
    If you're on a phone can't you simply get an app to resize them.... and if you're on a laptop/pc then maybe a way  to resize is to view the photo, then take a screenshot and post that.
    UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,092
    steveTu said:
    If you're on a phone can't you simply get an app to resize them.... and if you're on a laptop/pc then maybe a way  to resize is to view the photo, then take a screenshot and post that.
    Not a good idea, that would harm the quality of the photo. Better get an app that you can use to resize the image size/definition programmatically. There are plenty to choose from.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • steveTusteveTu Posts: 1,299
    @Papi Jo I'm not sure -  can't you only see the quality of a photo based on your screen display anyway? Doesn't it work that way? - if I shoot 8MP photos, but my screen resolution doesn't (can't) show that - I see only the lower resolution  and my laptop automatically does that adjustment for me. Ditto when you view a photo from the forum on your device - I may have a higher resolution screen than you - so I see a different resolution. What I think I'm saying, is that if I always view my photos on my laptop screen, then I never see 8MP photos - only ever the lower res version as that's all my display can display anyway. So isn't the auto resizing the pc/laptop does the same as changing the resolution via an app? And if you choose a resolution that is 'bigger' than the target (ie the forum members screens), then the image will undergo a further resolution adjustment anyway when each member views it on their specific screen.
     I always get confused with this stuff...!
    UK - South Coast Retirement Campus (East)