The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

Update on forum functionality issues

NoraGWNoraGW Posts: 475 admin
edited 16 May in The potting shed

Hello everyone,

An update on a few outstanding issues which have now been resolved.

1) Image upload limit

This has now been set to 6MB which should help the problem many of you were experiencing when viewing photos on the forum. Please note that some picture threads will still contain large images from before so you may not see an improvement on those particular threads. We realise that some of you won't be happy with the limit, however we needed to find a happy medium. 6MB still allows for excellent quality images. 

Find out how to reduce the size of your image.

2) Edit button

We've not yet been able to fix the three issues with the edit button - multiple buttons appearing / button disappearing after you’ve made one edit / button not appearing when you post a new discussion. We're still working on it as it makes sense that it appears next to Flag and Report, so more on this to come.

3) Photos on signatures and polls

You can now upload an image file to your signatures and polls.

Thanks everyone,

Nora

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 16,110
    I know "you can't please all the people , all the time" but unless the re-sizing is a very , very simple operation ( I can't deal with anything more complicated ) I won't be posting any more photos.
    Devon.
  • LynLyn Posts: 9,486
    You can resize on your laptop or pc very quickly, don’t need a new site to do it. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 45,944
    @Lyn ; ... you'll have to give him a tutorial  :)
    If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 
    I can do that Dove🙂
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 3,755
    edited 14 May
    Have you checked how large most of your images are @Hostafan1 ? You may well find they are below 6Mb anyway :)
    6Mb is still a very large file for file for an internet site - but I appreciate the effort @NoraGW  and the tech team have made to address the issue and come up with a compromise.
    Anybody regularly accessing the site using mobile data (4G etc) needs to be aware that picture-heavy threads will eat into their mobile data allowance.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 16,110
    @Topbird ,7.2Mb.
    I'm old school and don't use a mobile, but a camera instead.
    Devon.
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,282
    I've learned not to check photo heavy threads unless I'm on a wifi.  I think I'm right in saying that it only uses my data if I'm out and about.
    I've stopped using my camera to post and use my mobile instead so I think I should be well inside the limit.
    Have to say I don't envy you your job Nora it's so hard to please so many people.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 3,472
    Yes, I would personally have gone for a 1mb image limit, but there you are.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,383

:'( 6 MB is too big for me to see photos.

Why won't the smileys appear at the end of the sentence?

Don’t know lizzie.  :) :D :( :smile:
This discussion has been closed.