The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

Salvia Amistad. Is it possible to take really early cuttings?

Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 16,098
I took about 10 cuttings last autumn but The Beast killed them all. 
New growth has now started and I was wondering if I could take some cuttings  as they grow?
Mt thinking was that , rather than pinching out the tips to make it bushier, if I cut back 3inch lengths I could get cuttings and a bushy Mummy plant.
Am I just being greedy?
Devon.

• BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 350
    I would say go for it. 
  • Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,500
    I would say go for it as long as you have the right material.  Maybe keep them in pots and over winter in a cold frame and plant out next spring. 
    This year you could just pop the pots where you need the pop of purple 💜
  • Pete8Pete8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 3,357
    I've taken cuttings from one of my salvias a couple of weeks ago and they seem quite perky.
    My Amistad's are still battling for supremacy with the slugs/snails. Every new shoot has been nibbled, but the salivias seem to win in the end.
    Also took cuttings from penstemon spectabilis last week which are looking ok
    Pick a flower on Earth and you move the farthest star
    Paul Dirac
  • floraliesfloralies Posts: 169
    I have just taken cuttings from my Amistad this weekend, they are in the GH under a bench in case we get some hot sun, haha we have cold winds, heavy showers at the moment, but they look fine.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 16,098
    They've been in the polytunnel all winter so Mum is fine and dandy. I'll let the new shoots get a bit longer then go for it. 
    thanks all.
    Devon.
  • LynLyn Posts: 9,478
    Can you take base cuttings rather than stem? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    Lyn said:
    Can you take base cuttings rather than stem? 
    aw flip, don't complicate things Lyn. xx
    Devon.
  • Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,500
    If mum is a big mum you could just split into smaller plants. They don’t take long to get big and will do so for sure this year. I found just one plant got huge in its first year 
    Beaus Mum said:
    If mum is a big mum you could just split into smaller plants. They don’t take long to get big and will do so for sure this year. I found just one plant got huge in its first year 
    I only got it last year, so she's not that big.
    Devon.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 5,564
    I nipped out the tips on some of mine yesterday [ in the greenhouse ]
    They are still very small though, so I don't think the tips would have been big enough for cuttings.
    Don't step on snails, don't climb in trees
    Love cliff richard but please don't tease