Forum home Plants

What is this plant and does it have a disease?

RachHachRachHach Posts: 9
I have this plant in my garden and I don't know what it is, I've noticed it's developed pale white spots on its leaves. Is that normal or is it dying?

• DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,054
    It's a Pulmonaria, and it's supposed to have the spots! Its common name is Lungwort as the spotted leaves reminded people of lungs. Apparently.
  • RachHachRachHach Posts: 9
    Phew! I'm just getting my first ever garden sorted so I'm very much a beginner!
    We all have to learn and I'm sure you will. I took the very first plant I ever bought back as the young leaves were coming out red. The nurseryman patiently explained to me that's what they were supposed to do :) And having ordered some wood anemones from Bloms I rang up to complain that they'd forgotten to put any in the packet, all I had was the twiggy packing material. Again, they patiently explained that said packing material was the anemone rhizomes :blush:

Enjoy your garden!
  • FireFire Posts: 18,965
    There are non-spotted types, if you prefer.
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,710
    edited May 2018
    The dead bits in pic 1 on the wooden plank are the dead flower stems.
    Pulmonaria plant looks perfectly healthy.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
    Fire said:
    There are non-spotted types, if you prefer.
    E.g. 'Blue Ensign', which has a very deep-blue flower. We used to have it, but we couldn't get on with the non-spotted leaves so we didn't bring any with us when we moved.
  • RachHachRachHach Posts: 9
    Now I know it's healthy, I quite like the spotted leaves. Something interesting to look at!

I have another plant which has flowered, if anyone could help identifying this?

• Aquilegia.
  • Have had my Lungwort for a few years now and absolutely love it. The bees do as well when the flowers bloom in spring. Love the spots on the leaves.

Regards,
    Jay
    Aquilegia.
    AKA Granny's Bonnet. They self-seed freely so if you don't already have a lot you eventually will. Very nice cottage garden flowers.