The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

Acers in full sun

As you do off to the garden Centre we go husband kicking and screaming he loved a really expensive acer.Can these be grown in a south facing garden (sun all day in the summer)
We are after a focal point ie an acer or small tree preferably a deep red in colour.
Any help appreciated.thanks

• DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 541
    Interested in this one myself as we bought an acer (Acer palmatum 'Atropurpureum') yesterday. The label says it's happy in full sun but I feel slightly uneasy about this and am worrying that the foliage will scorch in a hot summer. Our neighbours, at the last place, had one in light shade (clay soil) and it thrived.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 3,408
    Craftychef, what does the label say? What's the full name?
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 932
    Mainly, most acers do not do well in full sun and you are quite right, the leaves do scorch, particularly the paler yellow/pale green leaved ones. Don't know if the purple leaved do better, others might know. 
  • B3B3 Posts: 5,963
    I had a red one in a pot.. a few hours sun  middayish and leaves went crispy. Put it in the ground in dappled shade and evening sun and it's doing fine
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 1,485
    Although the official advice is ‘dappled shade’ - I have Acers in all aspects. I put my potted ones in semi-shade but I have an established medium sized red one which is South-facing and has not scorched. Some shelter from the wind and good drainage are important though. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 3,408
    I seen large acers in full, south facing sun doing well. I think it really depends which one you have and how temperamental it is.
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 541
    I chickened out and planted our new Acer this afternoon in semi-shade, though it will get full sun in the late afternoon.
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,574
    Mine is in full sun but very sheltered by a privet hedge behind, has been doing well for 20+ years
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,321
    smaller ones in pots prefer shade, they are Japanese woodland plants, is yours in the Garden Mark as opposied to a pot?  Have found even the ones we planted out did far better in a semi shaded area.they dont like wind, we have lost several due to wind burn.