Acers in full sun

As you do off to the garden Centre we go husband kicking and screaming he loved a really expensive acer.Can these be grown in a south facing garden (sun all day in the summer)
We are after a focal point ie an acer or small tree preferably a deep red in colour.
Any help appreciated.thanks

• DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 541
    Interested in this one myself as we bought an acer (Acer palmatum 'Atropurpureum') yesterday. The label says it's happy in full sun but I feel slightly uneasy about this and am worrying that the foliage will scorch in a hot summer. Our neighbours, at the last place, had one in light shade (clay soil) and it thrived.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 4,508
    Craftychef, what does the label say? What's the full name?
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 1,580
    Mainly, most acers do not do well in full sun and you are quite right, the leaves do scorch, particularly the paler yellow/pale green leaved ones. Don't know if the purple leaved do better, others might know. 
  • B3B3 Posts: 7,020
    I had a red one in a pot.. a few hours sun  middayish and leaves went crispy. Put it in the ground in dappled shade and evening sun and it's doing fine
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 1,935
    Although the official advice is ‘dappled shade’ - I have Acers in all aspects. I put my potted ones in semi-shade but I have an established medium sized red one which is South-facing and has not scorched. Some shelter from the wind and good drainage are important though. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 4,508
    I seen large acers in full, south facing sun doing well. I think it really depends which one you have and how temperamental it is.
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 541
    I chickened out and planted our new Acer this afternoon in semi-shade, though it will get full sun in the late afternoon.
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653
    Mine is in full sun but very sheltered by a privet hedge behind, has been doing well for 20+ years
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,616
    smaller ones in pots prefer shade, they are Japanese woodland plants, is yours in the Garden Mark as opposied to a pot?  Have found even the ones we planted out did far better in a semi shaded area.they dont like wind, we have lost several due to wind burn.