Forum home Problem solving

Laying weed control membrane under gravel

Hi, I have an unsightly area to the side of my house which I would like gravel over. I got a quote for paving and it was more than we'd like to pay so I am going with gravel. I have bought a weed control membrane and some 6 inch steel pegs to pin it in place but I can only get them in a few cms before hitting something hard. I am now wondering if I can simply place the membrane down and rely on the gravel to keep it in place. The area in question isn't used that much, only on foot once a day or so. Any advice much appreciated. Best wishes, Jo

• posanoposano Posts: 4
    6 inches seems to be the standard length for these pegs 
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,299
    A pic would be good, yes, gravel will keep it in place.  You need far more than you think about 4 years ago, we put a ton os pea sized gravel/shingle around our veg plot, it was already there, but weeding and removing the inevitable cat poo removes a lot, we have just laid another ton, last week, but usex the 20 beaach (sized) this time.
    Thanks so much for replying! Here's a pic. I have managed to get a few pegs in and have ordered 2.5 tonnes of 20mm gravel and I'm holding the membrane in place with old paving slabs until it arrives. I have never seen a cat in our garden nor any cat poo but I will keep an eye out! 
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,933
    You could try four or five inch aluminum nails with large washers.. And use a hammer to pound them in.   
    Utah, USA.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,145
    We’ve got on our drive, we park a car and a truck on it, not pegged down, it’s never moved, been there for 5 years. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Thanks all. That's really helpful. I have managed to drive a few pegs in, in the odd place. Hopefully this will do!