Forum home Tools and techniques

Heavy duty plug tray - recommendations?

I am looking to buy a couple of heavy duty strong multi plug tray, as I am tired of buying those flimsy ones available in Wilko / Homebase etc.  My objective is to keep re-using it for some years to come.  Any recommendation is much appreciated.  Thanks

• IgrowfromseedIgrowfromseed Posts: 256
    Bought all my plug trays from www.lbsbuyersguide.co.uk around 20+ years ago when I had thoughts of running a small mail order nursery and they are still going strong after x2 yearly use. There is the odd small split in the side but nothing to affect their use. Don't think they still do the 84 cell tray which is the one I find most useful. Can't quite read the name on the side of the tray- will have to check the make/model when I get home.

• BalaBala Posts: 111
    Wow.  Thanks for the quick reply.  I am also looking for 84 cell tray (150 seems a bit too much for an amateur like me :smile:
    ) - preferably the one that would fit into my electric propagator ( 52 cm approx). 

Just checked www.lbsbuyersguide.co.uk and you are right, they no longer do 84 cell.
    Trying to decipher the imprint on the side of my tray it looks like a Plantpak range?

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,763
    How do you get the plants out without busting the plastic?  By the time the roots are out the bottom, I find it impossible to remove them without pushing them up from the bottom with my thumb.. ruining the plastic.  
    Utah, USA.
    There is a hole on the bottom of each cell and you just push the right sized stick through the hole and the plant plug pops out. Never had any problems.
    I suppose I must be in a rush then.. the stick usually just goes up into the rootball.   :/
    Utah, USA.
    Yes that can happen when the root ball is dry. If you make sure the root ball is nice and wet first it will come out as a clean plant plug

Ahh.. I usually do it when they are a bit dry, as with other standard pots they always seem to come out easier that way and are less likely to be a muddy crumple in my hand when I dump the pot upside down.  Thanks Igrowfromseed.. I'll give that a try next time!
    Utah, USA.
    Provided you have a good root ball then pushing the plant plugs out when moist works well
  • BalaBala Posts: 111
    In my relentless search for Heavy Duty trays, I keep encountering the term "Modiform Plug Tray".  Is Modiform a company / brand or does it represent a measure of durability or a type of plastic?