The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

These Gardeners’ World holidays...

The shiny, double page ads, made us wonder if these river cruises (such as next spring’s with Adam Frost) are worth a punt or just dreary and filled with old codgers?

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 11,829
    edited 13 May
    Not likely to be filled with people of child bearing age unless they have remarkably quiet kids or good places to park them for the duration.

On the other hand, if Adam Frost is there you're likely to find some fellow travellers who also love plants and gardens and have the chance to chat with him about plants and design.
    The Vendée, France
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 16,073
    I'd say a bit of both Steve and Obs.
    Devon.
  • Steve the Gardening VetSteve the Gardening Vet Posts: 1,517
    I’m not the child bearing type. What made me ask is that we are in Germany for the weekend and there are lots of river cruises and they seem to be filled with the spectacularly elderly...
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,282
    I often ponder that same question re coach tours of Scotland. I'd like to go but don't fancy all that driving. 
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 45,897
    They may be 'spectacularly elderly' but when people with a sense of adventure become less able to travel without a bit of comfort and support, river cruises and coach trips can be just the thing ... 'old codgers' can be fascinating, interesting people with an amazing view of the world born of a long lifetime of meeting up with all sorts of people ...  on the other hand I sometimes find that some younger people can have a very narrow 'black and white' view of the world ... 

Just a thought  ;)
    If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 
  • Jules41Jules41 Posts: 98
    I agree Dove! Being 'old' definitely has nothing to do with age. I know plenty of young but very boring people, unadventurous, stuck in their ways. But I also know far more interesting, knowledgeable older people who are fantastic fun to be with. Life's far more interesting if you get to know people as individuals 🌞
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 2,381
    I often ponder that same question re coach tours of Scotland. I'd like to go but don't fancy all that driving. 
    I'd always assumed the same about coach tours, not just those to Scotland.  However my sister-in-law's best mate and her husband have been doing coach tours for years, and they haven't reached 60 yet.  My s-i-l and her husband have now been on 4 with them, they have all been to Scotland.  They agree that they are considerably younger than the vast majority but say they have a great time with the oldies who are more than ready to party at the drop of a hat.  I have to admit that it doesn't appeal to me.  Far too much travel time and too little in any of the places they visit on the day trips.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 3,408
    I took my father on an art tour of Italy for his 80th birthday. I hadn't clocked that I would be the youngest there by about 40 years. Everyone looked the same, read the same newspaper, nobody was a from a city, no diversity at all, everyone had the same nose. It was a bit of a shock. They complained bitterly about everything. I wasn't exactly expecting a punk element, but it was weirdly homogeneous and sour and not much fun to spend 10 days with. I won't be doing it again.
  • paul_in_surreypaul_in_surrey Posts: 239
    Everybody else is saving all their money for a deposit for a house, or buying avocados. Wait till the millenials get their hands on that £10,000 though - Adam won't know what's hit him.
    “Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.” Winston Churchill
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,770
    My Irish-living-in-England MIL does coach tours several times a year around the U.K., as well as other organized tours of places like Jordan, Italy, Peru, etc.  She's retired, but still feisty and spry.  Her husband passed away 20 years ago, and her kids have all moved away (two out of the three to different countries).. these tours are an opportunity to socialized and make temporary friends for adventures.  She has also made some lasting friends, doing other tours with one or two of them at a time.  
    Utah, USA.