Forum home Plants

Acer Palmatum Bloodgood Advice

GardenSpursGardenSpurs Posts: 70
Hello

I grabbed a bargain at the garden centre today.  £5 for an Acer Bloodgood.  Admittedly it is on the small side and is not in great condition, however it is still alive and there are healthy looking buds.

What would be the best course of action to take next? I am thinking of repotting it in some John Innes no2, leaving it in a pot and seeing how it gets on.  Alternatively would it be best to drop it straight into the garden soil and getting it go from there.

Thanks in advance. 

• 2oaktrees2oaktrees Posts: 160
    I have one which I repotted in 50% John Innes and 50% Ericaceous compost and it is thriving. 
    They don’t like full sun either and prefer dabbled shade. 
  • GardenSpursGardenSpurs Posts: 70
    2oaktrees said:
    I have one which I repotted in 50% John Innes and 50% Ericaceous compost and it is thriving. 
    They don’t like full sun either and prefer dabbled shade. 
    Thanks 2oaktress, was it very small like mine when you got it and have you left it in a pot or in the garden?
  • 2oaktrees2oaktrees Posts: 160
    Like you I bought 3 small acers last year and potted them altogether in a large pot with the above potting mix and they have grown huge. 

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,146
    I've had this tree growing for over 20-years ; semi-shade in the morning and full sun all afternoon ; growing in ordinary neutral garden soil . Keep moist though at all times.
    Never had any problems at all , and can be very vigorous in its sudden spurt of April/May growth . I give mine a 'bi-annual' pruning to keep at around 8' high . This is only because it would shade out some rather 'choice' species growing near it .
    Yes , plant in the garden  !
  • GardenSpursGardenSpurs Posts: 70
    Thanks.  I appreciate the feedback.  I am taking a bit of a gamble here in that I live on the south coast and the soil is quiet chalky.  I have read a far bit about soil conditions required for Acers and it is is conflicting as to whether they need neutral to acid soil or if even chalky would be ok.  I think I will go for planting it in the garden with lots of compost mixed into the soil and hole.