Forum home Problem solving

Pyracantha 'Soleil D'Or' HELP!

2oaktrees2oaktrees West Midlands Posts: 160
edited May 2018 in Problem solving
Couple of questions please.
Does anyone have any simple instructions or video links that I can use to train my Pyracantha’s against a brick wall without using any wires or supports? 

My OH won’t allow me to drill into his newly built brick shed so that I can hang supports.  

I want to put them into pots shown. Are these large enough for them to be trained and left in for a few years? I have the the orange glow and a red column.

Thank you for your help. 

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234
    My red column did nothing very much and probably wouldn't have minded those pots. My Orange glow is a monster and wouldn't last five minutes in those.
    Could you put together larger wooden and lined planters and incorporate some kind of frame to train them to? Not ideal but better than nothing.
    If your OH's shed is any good it should be able to cope with a couple of vine eyes and some wire surely.  ;)
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    edited May 2018
    It's quite difficult to train Pyracanthas without some kind of guide to hold down soft growth until they mature. The reason - stems will take up to a year to mature and stay in a certain position. I would recommend you have a 1.5 meter lattice/trellis slotted behind the plant and train it onto that in the first two years to encourage some horizontal growth and tie stems lightly until the shrub has developed a certain habit and shape.

The other option is to stick canes down at 1 ft intervals into the soil behind the plant and tie the new branches into it, again loosely so you can cut them off and pull the canes out. But the issue is, you want to grow into pots. I can't see that working. You need to plant them into really large containers or into some type of raised bed. That way, the trellis/canes can be slotted and buried into the soil as support behind the shrub, and then removed once the shrub has established the main frame for the branches. That's possibly 3-4 years on.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,933
    What about using some brick clips?  They don't damage the bricks.. and would give you something to support the new growth with.

Utah, USA.
  • 2oaktrees2oaktrees West Midlands Posts: 160
    edited May 2018
    @plant pauper @Borderline @Blue Onion Thanks ever so much for your time and advice.
    You’ve given me some really good ideas. Noticed that whenever I post a question it is mostly you 3 lovely people that always offer your amazing advice. Now just have to persuade my OH to let me put some eye hooks in the shed or get me the brick clips. Failing that I’ll have to go with Borderline’s idea. 
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,933
    Ohh.. I'm full of advice.. whether it is useful or correct is a whole nother matter.     ;)
    Utah, USA.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,201
    The other alternative is to put a couple of posts in the ground next to the shed, strong wires in between, and train against that. 
    I'd agree with Ppauper though - those troughs aren't going to be big enough - even though pyracanthas are tough, you'll find it hard to keep them healthy and thriving in such small containers. Even a really big pot would be better if you can't get them in the goround  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• stuart.dotstuart.dot Bromley, KentPosts: 127
    You really need to get fixings into that precious shed. :)