Forum home Plants

Newly arrived plants

MeomyeMeomye Posts: 750
I am gradually taking receipt of plants I ordered on line and a few of them are in 9cm pots. Can I put them straight into the ground/pots where I intend them to stay or do I have to gradually move them up in order to increase strength, growth etc?

• Garden noobGarden noob Posts: 260
    I think it depends on the plants. What have you ordered?

Mine go straight in the ground, but that's because I have the philosophy that I don't want to grow plants that need a lot of TLC. If I do something that they don't like and they die, then of course it wasn't meant to be.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 13,956
    I would say that it depends what your slug situation is like. My baby plants wouldn't last half an hour in a bed.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,148
    Pot on to a good size then  plant out. Tiny plants will struggle if put out now. It's surprising how quickly they'll get up to a decent size though, as the weather and conditions will improve rapidly now and encourage growth.  :)
    If you have small plants which are going into big pots, you might get away with it, but put them outside and under cover at night for a while as they have probably been grown in cossetted conditions [under glass etc ]
    It does depend what the plants are too - too early for annuals to be planted out, but hardy perennials will adapt more quickly  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,881
    I would do just as Fairy says.
    i can’t ever see the point in putting them out thinking there’s a chance they might not survive! Or they can take their chances.   Unless you have a load of money to buy another lot. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.