Forum home Problem solving

Wilting French lavender

Hi all, I brought a French lavender plant a couple of weeks back and went on holiday forgetting to plant it. On my return it had wilted. I have given it a good water in its pot and then 2days ago I planted it out into a much bigger pot with good drainage. Today it’s not looking any better 😩. Any ideas? Do I just need to give it longer or have I killed it? 
Tia
sophia 

• Joyce GoldenlilyJoyce Goldenlily Posts: 1,921
    Give it time but I can see in the picture that the soil around the edge of the pot is still dry. The plant looks well grown and healthy so lack of water is the problem. Give it enough water for the water to run out of the bottom of the container, even standing the base of the pot in water for 48hrs. to soak the soil. Then let it drain and keep it watered from then on. The plant has a lot of foliage to keep alive so needs moisture but lavender does not like permanent wet conditions nor drought. Part of the result will depend on how long the plant has been dried out as if the roots have been damaged it may not recover.
  • Thanks Joyce, it was left in it original pot I brought it in for a couple of weeks whilst I was away as I had forgotten about it. But over the bank holiday weekend we had some really hot weather and I think that lack of water in these conditions is what has done it. But I’ve soaked it like you said and then repotted then dewatered it a few days ago and was hoping for some life to be restored 😔
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053
    I would put it somewhere shady for a week or so until it recovers.
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller