Forum home Problem solving

Help with an ID please

FireFire North LondonPosts: 15,640
Hi all,
this plant has popped up in a pot in the last week. It looks like I planted intentionally at some point. Its leaves smell - like a salvia (when crushed) not like a mint. It has thick roots like mint, running around the edge of the pot (though not in the middle) - pic A. The leaves taste horrible. No flower buds on it yet. It seems very happily thriving in poor, unconditioned, old soil. The stems nor the leaves are hairy like a nettle, not much slugged. It's probably bearing a flower all summer, if I planted it. Any ideas? A type of verbena?

• RubeeRubee Posts: 7,936
    Looks like mint
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 15,640
    edited May 2018
    It doesn't taste or smell like mint
  • RubeeRubee Posts: 7,936
    Does it smell could be lemon balm
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,907
    The leaves look a bit too long and narrow for Lemon Balm.. and the points are too 'sharp'. 
    Utah, USA.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,031
    I've got a couple of verbena bonariensis plugs that look very similar to this. Same square stem.
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
    No, not verbena bon. or lemon balm. It has short and bushy habit (not tall) and doesn't smell of lemon - smells more like a black current salvia. Horrid to taste - acrid.
    Catnip?
    Utah, USA.
    Is your tongue numb after eating it?
    Utah, USA.
    edited May 2018
    Nepeta? Could be! I don't remember ever planting any or seeing any last year, so a bit unlikely....? Does it grow on from little bits of root?

No numb tongue that I noticed...

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,397
    lamium of sorts?

Devon.