Forum home Wildlife gardening

Help!! How to know what animal has pooped in garden

My little one has been playing in the garden all morning. Now worrying as I have just been out there and found this poo. Not sure if it is rat poo??

• ThankthecatThankthecat North DevonPosts: 421
    Looks like hedgehog poo to me. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,185
    I’d say hedgehog poo too.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,142
    edited May 2018
    Yep ... you've got a  hedgehog visitor :D

https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Do you know if I should be worried about hedgehog poo? At least it’s not rat poo hopefully, was freaking out that we had a rat in the garden 😂
  • Dave HumbyDave Humby HampshirePosts: 1,142
    I agree, it looks like the deposits the hogs leave here. I don't believe it's any more of a health issue than other poo might be!
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,185
    Anything that eats also poops.

Every hour of every day we all wander around and breathe in a thick cloud of dessicated bird droppings, mouse farts and fly faeces. Our shoes are picking up and bring into the house all manner of bodily waste which is then spread over the carpet and onto our clothes and hands and eventually mouths.

And we all survive.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,847
    Do you know if I should be worried about hedgehog poo? At least it’s not rat poo hopefully, was freaking out that we had a rat in the garden 😂
    Gardens are about 50% poo. If it's brown it's basically been through an animal at least once. :)

Most diseases from animals are passed to us via urine anyway so you'd never see it.

My son is just starting to crawl so I appreciate your anxiety. :|  Trust their immune systems though they're tougher than you think.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • Do you know if I should be worried about hedgehog poo? At least it’s not rat poo hopefully, was freaking out that we had a rat in the garden 😂
    Gardens are about 50% poo. If it's brown it's basically been through an animal at least once. :)

Most diseases from animals are passed to us via urine anyway so you'd never see it.

My son is just starting to crawl so I appreciate your anxiety. :|  Trust their immune systems though they're tougher than you think.
    Thank you, I know I was probably worrying unnecessary but I had made the mistake of googling it!! And just worried with two little ones 
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,931
    pansyface said:
    ...mouse farts... 
    Goodness..  :D
    Utah, USA.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,142
    I grew up on a farm with cow poo, pig poo, chicken poo, horse poo, dog poo and cat poo ... not to mention all the wild animals' poo I must've met up with as I played in the barnyard,  ditches and meadows ...  I have a fantastic immune system ... just teach your children to wash their hands properly when they come indoors ... they'll be fine  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh