Forum home Tools and techniques

Dalek compost bins

B3B3 Posts: 18,677
I have two empty dalek bins and I don't know what to do with them.
I already have a couple of largish open heaps and sticks, branches etc go in the council bin. 
Does anyone have any ideas. They can be on soil and will be in the shade as I don't want to look at them!
In London. Keen but lazy.

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,760
    Filled with fresh manure to compost down?  The heat will kill off most weed seeds, I would think.. and possibly melt the bin!
    Utah, USA.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,045
    offer them on freecycle. Guaranteed to be gone to a good home in less than a day

Devon.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 10,826
    I would hang on to them. They are great for storing pretty much anything you don't need to use for a while. You could use them for leaves to make leaf mould but be sure to add water regularly. I got a huge amount of free wood chip last year, from a local furniture maker and now have the most beautiful soil from sticking the chip in a darlek and keeping it watered.  Fresh (free) manure, absolutely. Bulk grit etc.

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,520
    I've used spare ones for forcing rhubarb in the past. You do have to tape up any gaps though.
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • ThankthecatThankthecat North DevonPosts: 411
    I've used spare ones for forcing rhubarb in the past. You do have to tape up any gaps though.

Ooh, that's a good idea! I'm currently using both of mine for compost but when I turn them into my open bins I might keep one back for rhubarb. All the forcers I've seen in shops are way to small for my huge clump of Timperley Early! 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,520
    I know the feeling. I've no idea what variety I have as my dad planted it before I was born but the leaves are big enough to hide a large sheepdog under. We've tried a few containers for forcing over the years and it will lift them off the ground if you don't keep an eye on them. The daleks are perfect though.

Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,760
    Aww.. peakaboo Floss.  
    Utah, USA.