Forum home Problem solving

What is going on with this plant??

I took a cutting of a clematis last year (I believe it is a Paul Farges Summer Snow) and it rooted and did really well. I planted it in a rather large bucket and it's been outside ever since. Earlier this spring I cut it all the way down to the base and lovely new shoots started appearing and everything was hunky-dory. 

Then... a couple of days ago it started to look like a plant does when it hasn't had any water for a while, very limp and feeling sorry for itself. The soil has been consistently moist (not too dry, not too wet) and I have fed it some fish, blood and bone earlier in the month. 

I have attached images, it's probably not so easy to see but some of the stems have  completely flopped. I have it in a bucket because where I a live now is not where I'll be living next year so thought I would make it easier to transport, but now I'm wondering if I should plant it in the ground instead? What could be the issue?

• DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,054
    Clematis like a cool root run - does the bucket sit in sun all day long?

I presume you drilled some drainage holes in the bottom of the bucket?
  • kasjkkasjk Posts: 137
    Hi DampGardenMan,

The bucket is in sun pretty much all morning but in shade all afternoon. I drilled some holes as well as put in lots of polystyrene in the bottom for extra drainage.