Forum home Wildlife gardening

What to plant in my pot?!

linzijayne74linzijayne74 Droitwich, WorcestershirePosts: 197
Hi!  I'm sorry to have to ask but I can't think of anywhere else to do so!  I'm relatively new to gardening, so my knowledge is lesser, rather than greater. 

My quandary is this: I have a redundant pot that is 1ft wide and 1ft deep (30cm x 30cm in new money!).  I would like a small tree (if possible) that is beneficial to all wildlife, particularly for the bees, for as much of the year as possible.  Or if not a tree, a fair-sized shrub that would be happy in this sized pot, along with the care I would give it.  I would dearly love to plant one in the ground but it's not possible, unfortunately.  I realise this is rather a broad subject but I really would appreciate any thoughts from you.  Many thanks in advance.  :smile:

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,994
    Have to be honest, l can't think of any tree that would be happy/ survive in a pot only 1 foot deep. Maybe pieris japonica as a shrub?
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,135
    That size pot will hold a fuchsia, or pelagonium for the summer, it needs to be at least twice that size for a small shrub, or maybe a small acer.  For a tree, you need one of those really big pots. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,845
    Is getting a larger pot an option?
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,931
    I think you'd be better off with some continual flowers of some sort, that are constantly blooming to give the bees and bugs plenty to feed on.   Nasturtium come to mind.. maybe with an orange cosmos planted up in the middle for an upright structure, and the nasturtium trailing all around down the sides.  
    Utah, USA.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053
    What about a dwarf hebe? 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • FlinsterFlinster Posts: 883
    What about planting lavender? Bees love it, fragrant and easy to look after ( they like good drainage and lots of sun).
  • linzijayne74linzijayne74 Droitwich, WorcestershirePosts: 197
    Hi folks, thank you so much for your help.  I did wonder whether a pot of that size would be too small, even for a rather small tree, so at least I now know for sure that it's not an option.  I very much appreciate all of your opinions and feedback.  Thank you.  :)
  • tessagardenbarmytessagardenbarmy York,North YorkshirePosts: 346
    Another one to try if in a sunny position is a rosemary. Use in the kitchen and beautiful blue flowers attract insects