Forum home Tools and techniques

Greenhouse roof

Four of the panes in my greenhouse roof have cracked during the winter. I have the glass and clips, but not sure how to remove the old panes and replace the new! Lost my husband last year, so having to learn to do things he would have done!

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,173
    can you post some photos?
    Devon.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,549
    Roofs are the tricky panels. You need to start at one end, remove the glass nearest to the end but don't replace it right away so you can then use a step ladder inside the greenhouse to access the middle panels more easily through the gaps you've created in the end panels. We'd need to see the specific fixing system but most use pressure clips at the edges of the glass braced against the framework and Z clips between panes. You may need a pair of long nosed pliers to pop the pressure clips out without them pinging off across the garden but the glass just lifts out of the Z clips.
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,025
    It is really a two person job when it is on the roof. Have you got anyone to help? It is fairly straightforward if you have someone there to steady the ladder and hand you up the new glass. 
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • snowy43snowy43 Posts: 118
    Thanks for all your help. My daughter will come up and help me. She’s a whizz with YouTube too!
    Thanks again for your advice. Job completed by the two of us last weekend.  :)
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234
    Hurrah for @snowy43.
    My mum's in the same boat. She still hasn't worked out the central heating timer!!! well done you.
    I have to admit that I was just the labourer, and didn’t climb on the garage roof!