Forum home Wildlife gardening

Pollinator Garden from Seed

My son and I have created a perennial pollinator garden by mixing together several packets of pollinator seeds with a few handfuls of sand and scattering them across the soil.  Two packets were about eight years out of date, so I wasn't sure how germination would go.  Well.. it looks like everything germinated.. so now I have a bed full of seedlings only about an inch apart from each other.  Of course I threw away the empty seed packets, and can only identify a few of the young seedlings.  
I know I have to thin them out.. but how do I decide what spacing?  Some are going to be better suited to my climate and the planting situation.. or are more desirable to me.. but it will be another few weeks until I can identify them. 

How do you manage your mixed seeded flower beds? 
Utah, USA.

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    It's a good question. Were all the packets mixed wildflower seeds or packets of specific plants?
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,933
    Mixed packets.. I don't think many of them are wildflowers.. more just pollinator friendly.  
    Utah, USA.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,933

Not really looking for identification (yet).. but I am curious about the ones with the burgundy on the seed leaves.  

My son loves flowers, the brighter the better.  Usually I give him a section of my veg garden (hoping he would plant veg he wanted to eat).. which he always filled with flowers.. so now he has his own spot.  We are going to extend the bed further, once I have more time/energy.
    Utah, USA.