Forum home Problem solving

What's Eating My Clematis Flower Buds?

No problem last year with flower buds on clematis but this year a hoe has appeared in the side of each just before it is beginning to swell to flowering stage. What or Who is it? What can I do about it? Bought in Clematis this year fine and nowhere near each other. -All grown on in pots and not put in ground as I am still planning final positions in new garden.

• biofreakbiofreak Posts: 1,008
    Not quick enough to edit this -I meant to tupe 'hole' not 'hoe'!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,062
    edited May 2018
    What sort of hole?  Pics please  :)

By the way ... we get a whole hour to edit posts now ... just click on the cog wheel top right of post. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,543
    Most likely to be earwigs.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,889
    Slugs and snails eat them regularly here.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    Snails top of the list in my garden.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,515
    Sparrows took all the buds of a couple of my clematis.  I ended up netting them over.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,478
    Tiny slugs or snails I reckon. I get the same problem sometimes.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,543
    For me it's slugs and snails eating the foliage and earwigs making those irritating holes right through the flower bud.  However, this evening I found 9 fat snails resting on the back of the labels of 3 clems waiting to be planted out.   All now squished.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • is it true about the copper (Metal) tape, 40mm wide, round the top of the pot. Stops snails in their tracks from climbing over the pot top and up the plant ??....... i just put a clem under my cox apple tree, hope it dont get a full attack !!..... its only 20" tall at the mo....
  • Dave HumbyDave Humby HampshirePosts: 1,142
    is it true about the copper (Metal) tape, 40mm wide, round the top of the pot. Stops snails in their tracks from climbing over the pot top and up the plant ??....... i just put a clem under my cox apple tree, hope it dont get a full attack !!..... its only 20" tall at the mo....
    I put copper table on the ‘tray’ which the hedgehog food goes on. I can confirm.....it didn’t work (for me at least).