Forum home Problem solving

Malus tschonowskii

I planted this tree five years ago but it has never flowered/produced crabs.  It has been well cared for, fed and watered.  I have other Malus in the garden which thrive.  Any suggestions as to why this might be gratefully received.  KR, Lorraine

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,444
    That's strange, Lorraine.  Perhaps it's been too well fed, and has produced lots of vegetative growth because it's happy...  try feeding it with a high potash feed (such as sulphate of potash) next winter or early spring, but leave off the nitrogen fertiliser.  That might do the trick...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Lorraine56Lorraine56 Posts: 38
    Thank you, that is a very good point as the foliage appears super healthy.  I shall do as you advise and hope for the best next season. I work in a tree nursery and it is such a beautiful tree, not only for blossom but for the silvery grey foliage and am always saddened that my tree does not look like those we are selling!!
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,458
    I planted this tree five years ago but it has never flowered/produced crabs.  It has been well cared for, fed and watered.  I have other Malus in the garden which thrive.  Any suggestions as to why this might be gratefully received.  KR, Lorraine
    I don't think crab apple trees need to be 'fed'. What did you feed it on? 
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
    I usually 'feed' all my garden - fruit, veg, trees, shrubs and flowers with Maxicrop throughout the growing season which appears to be working effectively for everything else.  I also provide a mulch of organic matter in the spring to all my fruit trees.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 14,168
    Maybe just leave off feeding with anything for a few years and see what happens. And enjoy the beautiful tree you have, whatever it does. 🌱
  • BiljeBilje Posts: 670
    In a previous garden I had two of these. They produced very few crab apples and they were very small. I believe the tree is grown for its autumn colour as the leaves turn to a wonderful red. 
    Thank you all for your comments - much appreciated. 
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,458
    I usually 'feed' all my garden - fruit, veg, trees, shrubs and flowers with Maxicrop throughout the growing season which appears to be working effectively for everything else.  I also provide a mulch of organic matter in the spring to all my fruit trees.
    Maxicrop is a brand, not a product. Mulching is good.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
    Thank you, I know it is a brand as I work in a garden centre and am a trained horticulturist; what I meant was I feed with seaweed extract, which is one of the best known Maxicrop products.