Forum home Plants

Propagation through cuttings

Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,995
What sort of things have you been most successful in propagating through cuttings?  What techniques do you use?  

I want some suggestions for plants and perennial flowers I can try now in the spring.. something that will be ready to go into the ground by fall.  I don't have a place to overwinter pots.  I've done geraniums, salvia, tomatoes, and a few other things.. and have read a lot of books on the topic.. but am still very much a beginner.  

What works for you?
Utah, USA.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,537
    If a bit gets broken off anything, either accidentally by me  or by other means, then I will tidy it up and stick it in a pot as described by HH. I use gritty compost. I do it with prunings too. Some things take, some don't, but always worth a try.

To Hollie's list I would add Nepeta, Fuchsia, Rosemary.

Pelargoniums and succulents too, but let the cut ends dry a little first.

Shrubs like Weigela, Buddleia, Potentilla. I have 2 trays full of baby box plants that I don't know what to do with, because I couldn't resist trying the trimmings!

Dahlia and Delphinium, taken when stems still solid, from the base of the plant.

You can look for 'Irishman's cuttings' on some plants, usually spreaders, that have a few roots on them to get you started.

And once you've had some practice, leaf cuttings from Begonias or Streptocarpus are like magic!
    Some things are more fussy, and need to be done at a certain stage of growth or time of year. If there is something special you want more of, then look up its propagation needs on the RHS site or another reliable one.
    Have fun - Good Luck :)
  • FireFire Posts: 18,983
    Sweet williams, hardy osteos, red valerian, sedums, pelargoniums (if it doesn't get too cold to overwinter outside).
  • wild edgeswild edges Posts: 10,462
    I do so many alpines I'm running out of space to keep them all. Mostly I just pot up bits that fall off or are too big for the pot. The hylotelephium sedums are especially good for border planting if you have sun and good drainage.
    If you can keep your head, while those around you are losing theirs, you may not have grasped the seriousness of the situation.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,995
    Thanks.. I have a number of those plants in my garden that I'll give a try on.  I suppose a large part of me is afraid to waste time, space, and soil on something that won't root.  With the dalphinium, penstemon, weigelia, and buddleia.. will they be rooted by fall and able to be planted out?  So often I read that it needs to be in a frost free green house for the winter.  
    Utah, USA.