Forum home Plants

Baltic parsley

FireFire Posts: 18,983
I am very excited to have planted up some Baltic parsley this weekend. I have been tending them from seedlings all spring and now are big enough to survive the molluscs - I hope. I keep going out every few hours just to check they haven't been noshed. Some sites say that it can reach the 'eventual height' of one mtre, but am wondering if that means they can reach that this season (very much hoping so) or will over future years. My angelica last year was pretty tiny and rally going for it this year. I'm wondering if my Baltics might be the same. Thanks

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,146
    I grew this plant a few years ago ; I bought a very young seedling at a plant fair near Newark-on-Trent . Rarely seen apparently .
    It grew very quickly , but took two seasons to reach flowering size .
    I love Umbellifers of all kinds ; one of the best (in my opinion) is 'Alexanders' or Smyrnium olusatrum .
    Dove happened to mention the other night that this is edible when cooked ; didn't know that at all !!
  • FireFire Posts: 18,983
    edited May 2018
    Oh wow. So it might well not flower this season at all?! Good to realise. Erk. That's put a big holes in my plans...  I think I'll be investing in some Raven's Wing.