Forum home Wildlife gardening

Wasp busy building

Tidying away for the day and noticed a little wasp nest in the far corner. On closer inspection, she's actually busy in the process of building it. Will leave it for now unless it becomes a problem. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,135
    They're fabulous aren't they? The construction of them is wonderful. 

Hopefully you can enjoy it for a while. They do seem to enjoy making nests in sheds, which can be a bit awkward! There comes a point when you'd need to leave the door open, or a window if it's possible, for access. Not always great from a security angle. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hi Fairygirl, yes they're amazing things. We've had a couple of small abandoned nests in the loft before (and one huge one that we had to call someone in to remove). Funny how us humans with all our intelligence struggle to create something so precisely designed yet a little insect can do it so easily  :)
  • Vix and ScottVix and Scott SurreyPosts: 21
    Ahh I’ve just seen your comment in my thread - let’s race our wasps to see who completes their build first! I’m fascinated by ours - what a wonderful thing to have going on in our sheds  :)
  • Ha ha! I'll post some more pics as it progresses! Not sure I want a wasp invasion though.  :worried:
  • JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 1,139
    They are amazing to see, can be a bit of an issue if the shed is used a lot though 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,135
     Funny how us humans with all our intelligence struggle to create something so precisely designed yet a little insect can do it so easily  :)
    Indeed!  :)
    I often used to sit and watch them 'harvest' wood from the fence in a previous garden, making it into pulp for a nest. The noise was quite loud and it took me a while to find what it was.   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Joyce GoldenlilyJoyce Goldenlily Posts: 1,969
    A couple of years ago a wasp built a nest in one of my bird boxes. It filled the box completely. I managed to get it out fairly intact and gave it to the twins next door to take to school for their  Look and Learn nature table.
  • itsueyitsuey LanarkshirePosts: 42
    Fairygirl said:
     Funny how us humans with all our intelligence struggle to create something so precisely designed yet a little insect can do it so easily  :)
    Indeed!  :)
    I often used to sit and watch them 'harvest' wood from the fence in a previous garden, making it into pulp for a nest. The noise was quite loud and it took me a while to find what it was.   :)
    This clears up a mystery for me; I disturbed a wasp that appeared to be nibbling on my fence, it flew around my head a few times and then went straight back to it, I had no idea what it was doing at the time. Hopefully it's not building its nest anywhere near me!
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,232
    Wasps really aren’t aggressive things. They are quite peaceful unless, of course, something threatens them with waving arms.

Over the years, we have had wasps build nests in all of our sheds. The shed where we stack, remove and store tables and chairs on a daily basis. The shed where we keep all the gardening equipment - taking tools that were hanging less than a foot from the nest. And the shed where we store logs and kindling - in use ten months of the year at least.

Not once have we been stung or even buzzed by a wasp. We mind our business and they mind theirs.

And boy, can they catch caterpillars.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,053
    Nope. I hate them. One stung me for no reason once, and I destroy any nests I find. I like bees a lot though.
    SW Scotland