Forum home Plants

Red Bugs all over the orange and mandarin trees

kloudekloude Posts: 9
Hi everyone! just found from few days those red bugs all over my orange and mandarin trees,looks like they are enjoying flowers,are them dangerous for the tree or any kind of known pest?
thank you!!

• FireFire Posts: 18,945
    Hi,
    are you in the uk?
  • Valley GardenerValley Gardener Posts: 2,850
    Well the orange/mandarins trees in Spain get absolutely douched in insecticide,so I would imagine that is what yours will need.
    The problem in Spain was that it used to also kill the bees,it was very upsetting to find them dead in the courtyard.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,852
    Those are Red Soldier Beetles ... very beneficial insects ... they don't attack plants, they are 'carnivores' and are  eating up all the harmful aphids on your citrus trees.  :D

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    Are we the only tiny, tiny country in the world to try and protect our creatures, Spain drenching everthing in insecticide 😱😱😱😱😱
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• B3B3 Posts: 27,298
    Then there's the spring slaughter of migratory birds in Malta :(
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    I think France yused to do that as well, don’t know if they still do. Who would want to eat a swallow! 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Fire said:
    Hi,
    are you in the uk?
    Kloude lives in Southern Italy  B)<3

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,286
    edited May 2018
    Too hot outside today, so a bit of googling came up with something similar - could be a type of blister beetle - Zonitis flava nigripes possibly

oops - was too busy googling to realize Dove has already identified it

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • kloudekloude Posts: 9
    thank you very much,the answer make me really happy! i m not really for insecticide,especially in this time of the year (plenty of bees everywhere in the garden) 
     :)