Forum home Plants

Peony or Tree Peony?

MeomyeMeomye Posts: 924
Is  there a simple way to recognise one and other? I am not sure which one I have. Thanks.

• Can you post a picture someone on the forum might be able to tell.
  • I believe tree peonies are shrubs and do not die back to the ground in winter. In spring, they continue to grow on their woody stems. Garden peonies are herbaceous perennials meaning the whole plant die back in winter. In spring, new purple/red shoots emerge from the ground (usually around April). Planted 4 Sarah Bernhardt last year. Also the plants have almost tripled in volume, I did not expect to have flowers this year but to my surprise they all have developed 2/3 medium buds each so we will see what happen soon! 
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,422
    That's right, trees have wood, it stays where it is in winter.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Lily PillyLily Pilly Posts: 3,845
    edited May 2018
    I have just planted a tree peony, it’s named Tree because of the woody branch like stems
    Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,408
    My mum had one in her garden which was a bit of a monster, "Ludlowii" - with  lovely big yellow flowers. Be aware they can look very tatty in the winter and it's quite okay to take off the old brown straggly leaves. The stems are quite structural. I've got a cutting of this one in my garden and am hoping for a flower or two this year.
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,583
    Then of course there are the intersectional  or ITOH paeonies. They are a cross between the two . I have the blousy Bartzella.
  • MeomyeMeomye Posts: 924
    Thank you for clearing that up, it appears mine are not trees then because they both die down every year. I was confused because yes they both look alike but I thought I purchased one as a Tree Peony. Thanks again