Forum home Problem solving

A plant ID please, you lovely people

124»

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,995
    @NoraGW You made my week, thank you!  I enjoy a good ID hunt, but that had me stumped.. and literally loosing sleep, as I stayed up late last night searching.   :)  
    Utah, USA.
  • FireFire Posts: 18,998
    It's good to know I'm not the only one who loses sleep over ID hunts. Thanks for your fortitude, Blue.
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,644
    Interesting plant, one for the connoisseur..  I don't think I've ever seen it anywhere, apart from the Burncoose catalogue, so I imagine it's planted in more sheltered gardens in the south west..
    East Anglia, England
    I was not aware any great connoisseur had ever lived in my house. Something for me to ponder on. I'm happy to send cuttings to anyone who wants. (assuming it takes from cuttings). Seeds are trickier but maybe possible, if desired. 🌱
    The more discerning gardener?.. not everyone would seek out one of those I think.. but if it wasn't to my taste, then I would have to think about it..
    East Anglia, England
    It's pretty but I have a narrow garden (just over three mtrs wide). Between this plant, mad hedging and a triffid wisteria I can barely get out of the back door some days. I appreciate their enthusiasm and take it a sign of affection.

..he's cute..
    East Anglia, England
    edited June 2018
    I discover all parts of the vine are highly poisonous. I wish I had known that before - having pruned it wildly every year for five years, without gloves. Ho hum. We're all still here, I guess.

I checked the scent and I can detect nothing. Flies seem to enjoy sitting on it, but no bees etc that I could notice.

... and if anyone is checking this for info, it doesn't do well as a cut flower. It wilts in a day.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Posts: 4,220
    Papi Jo said:
    Just before Nora posted the ID I had thought it might be Araujia sericifera a plant in the same family (Apocynaceae).
    See this discussion: https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1004046/plant-id-please#latest

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).